Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So whats your favourite war?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
There seems to be quite a few of them about at the moment but somethig puzzles me ref the obsession with Gaza.

In that its the Ukrainian war that has the potential to make us all glow in the dark if things spiral out of control. I may be wrong but i don't consider Putin a Psyco just a bit of a dictator, its idiots in the EU that worry me. And has anyone else noticed how useless John Kerry is?

As for the most brutal and nastiest war I think ISIS have bagged that award with various threats and antics, having sat ad watched about 30 mins of one of their propoganda videos, those sods are really crazy.

So whats the over obsession with Israel V Gaza? not saying its nothing or meaningless its just there are bigger concerns imo.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
WW2. Nazis in black uniforms with swastikas and interesting views on multiculturalism vs. Winston Churchill and the English speaking world.

Wars are better when the opponents are evenly matched and its just down to individual fortitude and guile.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Star Wars :catfight:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The War of the Roses with Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
The old-school wars (American Civil War and earlier) are more interesting to me personally as reading about the history, politcs and key people around them can be quite absorbing when you start looking at it.

That said, my preference might have something to do with the amount of WW2 related studying I had to do at school/college. It was getting to a point that I could bash out a fairly good essay on why it wasn't really Hitler's fault (I may not actually believe this, but the arguement can be made) in just under an hour.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Steve Waugh...great cricketer!

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
War of the Roses. Battle of Towton. Over 50,000 soldiers fighting hand to hand all day, 28,000 dead.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Gaza isn't a war, it's a massacre.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The Avro Vulcan is my favourite aircraft, so given it's involvement in the Black Buck raids I'd have to say the Falklands War is the one I find most interesting to read and learn about, especially given my interest in submarines as well so factoring in the story of HMS Conqueror.

I'd find it a bit perverse to describe any war as being my "favourite" though.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
The Emu War

emu.jpg

This is perhaps the only formal war where one of the belligerents was not human, but rather avian. In 1932, the emu population in Australia was growing out of control, with an estimated 20,000 emus running around the Australian desert and causing havoc among crops. In response, the Australian military sent out a task force of soldiers armed with machine guns to kill the emus and even jokingly declared war on them. In mid-November they drove out into the desert and proceeded to hunt down any emus they could find. However, they ran into complications; the emus proved remarkably resilient, even when struck by multiple machine gun bullets they continued to run away, easily outstripping the heavily laden soldiers. The Emu War lasted for nearly a week before Major Meredith, the commander of the emu-killing task-force gave up in disgust after the soldiers only bagged a fraction of the elusive birds.

War duration: (November 11-18 1932) Seven days.
Casualties: 2,500 emus.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here