Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away Days - Choose your seat

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Interesting to read that Peterborough are now offering their supporters choice of seats for away games when advanced tickets are put on sale.

The amount of times you snap up away tickets early and get allocated the worst seats !

Hope we follow suit !

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Would be nice to have those who want to make some noise allocated in the same area. Surely it can't be that hard to arrange and it would improve the atmosphere.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
My old man spoke to Barber about this last season. Some clubs have an option where the the vocal supporters can select to be seated around the other vocal supporters. Sounded like Barber wasn't too keen on the idea..

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I've never really understood the need for allocated seating for away supporters, I reckon it causes it more problems than it solves. Let people sit where they want, and generally you will find vocal supporters will congregate in the middle, people that have difficulty standing will sit near the front, people that aren't fussed either way will sit towards the edge etc etc....

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I've never really understood the need for allocated seating for away supporters, I reckon it causes it more problems than it solves. Let people sit where they want, and generally you will find vocal supporters will congregate in the middle, people that have difficulty standing will sit near the front, people that aren't fussed either way will sit towards the edge etc etc....

That would be the ideal scenario but I can't really see that happening any time soon, at least not for the game where the away fans sell a lot of tickets.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Was actually going to start a thread along these lines. When I go away I couldn't care less where I sit/stand, I'm 6'5 so can see no problem from wherever. However, as everyone else stands, it's the little one that can't see shit, which means he goes on my shoulders. So blocking the view of the people behind which of course I'm aware of, but as the first 30 rows are standing without caring about the row behind, why should I?

Anyone got any advice about taking kids away? Is getting there well early and grabbing some seats in front few rows the best bet?? And then having to deal with the possible "you're in my seat bullshit"?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The home clubs should always make away seating unallocated.

But as nearly all don't, I agree with the opening poster that the club should give you the option to select your seat. Peterborough are doing this from seating plans somehow. Failing that a basic logic of allocating best seats first would help. More often than not if you but your away seat as soon as they become available you end up with a shit seat.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I've seen people complain about kids having their views restricted, and those that are elderly or infirm and can't stand for 90 minutes, they've been whisked down the front. However I reckon if you spoke to the club, they could arrange lower tier seating.

Personally I don't like standing in some of the high up tiers stadiums as I get vertigo and sometimes people push into you when they get a bit animated and a few times i've toppled forward into the person in front. I prefer to sit through the game. But I know going away it sadly isn't an option. Except at The Valley when they enforce seating.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Was actually going to start a thread along these lines. When I go away I couldn't care less where I sit/stand, I'm 6'5 so can see no problem from wherever. However, as everyone else stands, it's the little one that can't see shit, which means he goes on my shoulders. So blocking the view of the people behind which of course I'm aware of, but as the first 30 rows are standing without caring about the row behind, why should I?

Anyone got any advice about taking kids away? Is getting there well early and grabbing some seats in front few rows the best bet?? And then having to deal with the possible "you're in my seat bullshit"?

Being in the front can be complicated if you want to cheer the team on. The thermos flask and bobble hat brigade don't take kindly to foul language aimed at the referee and home supporters. Trying to create an atmosphere will only make you stick out like a sore thumb and get the attention of the stewards. About 10 rows back might be the optimum position when taking the kids but you might need to judge the number of boring old farts in front of you at some games who will be sitting down all match in a comatose state (even when we score and the rest of the crowd is going berserk.)

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Being in the front can be complicated if you want to cheer the team on. The thermos flask and bobble hat brigade don't take kindly to foul language aimed at the referee and home supporters. Trying to create an atmosphere will only make you stick out like a sore thumb and get the attention of the stewards. About 10 rows back might be the optimum position when taking the kids but you might need to judge the number of boring old farts in front of you at some games who will be sitting down all match in a comatose state (even when we score and the rest of the crowd is going berserk.)

Agreed.
Easiest thing would be if the Albion gave us a choice of back or front when buying away tickets.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I believe that to have unallocated seating requires a 10% reduction in capacity. Fine for away games that won't sell out but it means the big away games will always be allocated seating, and I guess it's the big games that cause more problems.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012

Cheers. Guess we'll just go a bit earlier and hope for the best. Only taking him to a couple this season so I'm sure we'll manage.

Agreed.
Easiest thing would be if the Albion gave us a choice of back or front when buying away tickets.

Exactly. But is that too simple?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The home clubs should always make away seating unallocated.

But as nearly all don't, I agree with the opening poster that the club should give you the option to select your seat. Peterborough are doing this from seating plans somehow. Failing that a basic logic of allocating best seats first would help. More often than not if you but your away seat as soon as they become available you end up with a shit seat.

The reasoning behind allocated seating is to identify anyone who is being naughty on CCTV making offensive gestures , using bad language or smashing up seats. There should be a couple of options when booking away tickets (1) in the first 6 rows (2) anywhere else , first come first served.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I believe that to have unallocated seating requires a 10% reduction in capacity. Fine for away games that won't sell out but it means the big away games will always be allocated seating, and I guess it's the big games that cause more problems.

Even at the big away games with supposed allocated seating can be a free for all , it isn't worth the agro telling a pissed up loon he is in your seat with a dozen of his mates telling you to **** off and find somewhere else to stand. Always avoid blabbering to a steward because that causes more friction.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
From the past few seasons experience in particular, final seating position depends on nothing more than how long you decide to spend in the local bar or ground bar, sod all to do with vocal amplitude. And so it should.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here