Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] STOCKDALE: CLUB'S AMBITION CONVINCED ME

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
New Brighton & Hove Albion recruit David Stockdale has told seagulls.co.uk that the ambition shown by manager Sami Hyypia, head of football David Burke and chief executive Paul Barber during initial talks with the club convinced him to make the switch from Fulham.
The new Seagulls goalkeeper said, "It was pretty out of the blue, I was getting ready for the new season when Brighton showed an interest. I only really knew for sure on Saturday, when a fee was agreed and here I am two days later.
"I've had a look around and seen what the club is trying to do. The facilities here, with the training ground and stadium, are state-of-the-art. I spoke to the manager, David Burke and Paul Barber, and they all want to go in one direction and that’s the Premier League.
"I already know Antti [Niemi] very well from when he was at Fulham and that is another draw for me: working with someone I know. He was a great goalkeeper when he was playing and I know can learn from him as well.
"Brighton & Hove Albion have got a lot of history, and they’ve come such a long way in the last five years, and after speaking to everyone at the club, I was delighted to come.
"Everyone spoke about where the club’s heading, and the manager said we’re a club with Premier League facilities and we’re now striving to get there as a team.*
"When someone comes to you and says they want you to be a part of that and we’re willing to pay a significant fee, and then help you on our way with the facilities and infrastructure, how can you turn down a chance to play at a club like this?
"It’s nice for Brighton to show faith in me as a player. They’ve paid an awful lot of money for me and hopefully I can pay it back and help the club get into the Premier League next year."

Stockdale already has a feel for the area, as it's a regular day out for him, his wife and three children. He added, "I am only half an hour up the M23. So I bring the wife and the kids down here, we really like it here.*
"The kids are really excited about the move, and they can’t wait to come back to Brighton - but they want to come down for ice cream on the pier rather than the football!"*
Stockdale also admitted it was a day of mixed emotions to leave Fulham after six years. "Fulham are a great club with great fans and it shows they’ve been there for 13 years at the top.*
"This is a new chapter in my career, but looking back over the past six years I’ve met a lot of good friends at the club - so it’s a sad moment in that respect, but I’m hoping to go back and say goodbye to those people.*
"The fans were brilliant over the past six years. I can’t thank them enough and I wish them all the best for the future. I’ve always got a place for them in my heart." *

[h=3]Albion v SOUTHAMPTON[/h] THURSDAY 31ST JULY, kick-off 7.45pm

[h=3]Albion v SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY[/h] SATURDAY 9TH AUGUST, kick-off 3pm

[h=3]Albion v CHELTENHAM[/h] TUESDAY 12TH AUGUST, kick-off 7.45pm

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here