Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This bothers me more than it should, but......

paul wickens

Wicko1
Dec 23, 2011
When talking about the Commonwealth Games, one of the lads in my son's cricket team said he wanted Wales to win more medals than England. After further questions, it transpired that he was born in England, goes to school in England, lives in England (and always has) and his parents are both English. Yet, because his grandfather is Welsh, he thinks therefore he is 'Welsh'. I encounter this more often than I'd like with all sorts people making spurious claims to being Irish (in particular) Welsh and Scottish. The reverse never seems to happen! Why is it more 'trendy' to be a celt and what is wrong with being English?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
send him to live there
he will soon come back ENGLISH

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
When talking about the Commonwealth Games, one of the lads in my son's cricket team said he wanted Wales to win more medals than England. After further questions, it transpired that he was born in England, goes to school in England, lives in England (and always has) and his parents are both English. Yet, because his grandfather is Welsh, he thinks therefore he is 'Welsh'. I encounter this more often than I'd like with all sorts people making spurious claims to being Irish (in particular) Welsh and Scottish. The reverse never seems to happen! Why is it more 'trendy' to be a celt and what is wrong with being English?

If he develops an interest in paedophilia and singing in choirs later in life...then he's welsh. I can't think of anything I'd rather NOT be personally? Still. It takes all sorts.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Perhaps he's been reading too much Dylan Thomas - he was a tad confused over where his loyalties lay too.

Why not tell this lad that if he truly wants to be considered Welsh then he HAS to learn the language. That'll learn him!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Just be thankful you don't come across young lads in the states. Americans will claim ancestry from anywhere other than England. Who knows why, was it something we said?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
If he develops an interest in paedophilia and singing in choirs later in life...then he's welsh. I can't think of anything I'd rather NOT be personally? Still. It takes all sorts.

Again this also made me laugh out very loud !! :lolol:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
There is nothing wrong with being English, it's all good. Pity the poor misguided people who aren't English. The people that look for ancestors from other parts of the The United Kingdom are looking for the reason they are not as awsum as the English people they know. In a similar way that people not born in Sussex look upon their true Sussaxon neighbours with envy.

As long as he's not burning down your holiday cottage, what's the harm?

My extensive investigation of Tebbit's cricket test is that second-generationers like me tend to break about two-thirds for England, one-third for family country - for third generationers like your young cricketer there, to support the "family" nation is rare, we are talking about 95% England by that stage I reckon. My 7-year-old son (3G) pretty much tells me that I (2G) can stuff the Irish passport I am getting him.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Just be thankful you don't come across young lads in the states. Americans will claim ancestry from anywhere other than England. Who knows why, was it something we said?

A while ago, a colleague here in the office was claiming that he was Irish.

"Were you born in Ireland?" I enquired.

"No, but I have a grandparent who was."

"Oh", I said: "And your mother was a woman; so does that mean that you are a woman too?"

Hmm. Duke of Wellington quip is better

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Hmm. Duke of Wellington quip is better

My favourite Wellington retort is the occasion where he was guest of honour at a dinner in Brussels after he defeated Napoleon at Waterloo. There were several French officers present and, when he entered, they turned their backs on him. The hostess was apologetic told him that it was inexcusable. Wellington replied " Don't worry Madame. I have seen their backs before"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I encounter this more often than I'd like with all sorts people making spurious claims to being Irish (in particular) Welsh and Scottish. The reverse never seems to happen! Why is it more 'trendy' to be a celt and what is wrong with being English?
These days, you get arrested and thrown in jail if you say you're English don't you.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
These days, you get arrested and thrown in jail if you say you're English don't you.
You know that Colin Hunt character from the Fast Show who spends all day at work regurgitating punchlines from comedy shows?

That Stewart Lee sketch is fast becoming the 2014 online version. And faster going the way of fish puns in its overuse.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
You know that Colin Hunt character from the Fast Show who spends all day at work regurgitating punchlines from comedy shows?

That Stewart Lee sketch is fast becoming the 2014 online version. And faster going the way of fish puns in its overuse.

Careful you're SKATE-ing on thin ice there....... NSC tradition!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Blame the parents...if my father was English and I was born in Spain I doubt I'd call myself Spanish (90% genes c/f are from the male) and my son likewise

However, it always rains in Wales and their most famous person is Max Boyce, so he must go English

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
[MENTION=22866]paul wickens[/MENTION]

My family came to Poland from Austria, and there were Germans, Czechs and even one Spaniard among my ancestors, but I consider myself 100% Polish. I think identity is about culture, language and feeling of belonging, not about genes. We are people, not animals, and who we are depends on our hearts and souls, not on genes or some imaginary racial purity. If the boy wants to be Welsh, let him (it's probably just a passing fancy anyway).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here