Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

...and we're going up to win the cup..... GOSBTS question.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
What would the chances be of people changing the decades old "Albion" version when singing GOSBTS?
After watching the programmes this year about the Sussex Regiment in WW1, it just got me thinking. We should take pride in the history of our great county, and sing the chorus as it should be.

"You may tell them all, that we stand or fall, for Sussex by the Sea".

I know it's an old chestnut on here, but with a new season looming, what better year than the 100th anniversary of the Great War to pay homage to the brave men of Sussex? (2 of my Nan's brothers among them at Ypres).

I think it would actually sound better as well, & I've been singing the Albion version since 1970. It was slower back then, but that's been done before I think!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sussex_by_the_Sea

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
It was always "Oh we're going up and we'll win the cup" when I was a kid so the version you've posted in the title is 4rse. :wozza:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Probably more chance than people calling it SBTS, rather than GOSBTS

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
And we'll win the cup. ...

I wish we'd sing that. It was only changed to "To win the Cup" on one day in May 1983. It should have then reverted to the previous version!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I wish the club would put the (proper) words on the big screens karaoke style so everyone could sing it together.........

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Good old Sussex by the Sea!
You may tell them all we stand or fall,
For Sussex by the Sea.

Is so much better than the "Going up to/and we'll win the cup" version and unlike the verses of the traditional song, it isn't dated at all. I think you could get people to sing it, after a bit of effort mind, especially considering everyone has now seen the banner.

Exactly, the whole "Going up to/and we'll win the cup" is completely irrelevant to the point I was trying to make.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Would you place a lot of emphasis on "gay" in the first stanza? I know I do.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
What would the chances be of people changing the decades old "Albion" version when singing GOSBTS?
After watching the programmes this year about the Sussex Regiment in WW1, it just got me thinking. We should take pride in the history of our great county, and sing the chorus as it should be.

I know it's an old chestnut on here, but with a new season looming, what better year than the 100th anniversary of the Great War to pay homage to the brave men of Sussex? (2 of my Nan's brothers among them at Ypres).

I think it would actually sound better as well, & I've been singing the Albion version since 1970. It was slower back then, but that's been done before I think!

lovely idea. I'm with you.

I always sing that anyway.

I always sing the correct verses when the teams walk out, Mark of respect you know ��

These.

Always have sung the correct version, don't care what anyone else sings..............................as long as they stay IN TIME.

I think it's a good idea.

You may tell them all we stand or fall,
For Sussex by the Sea.

Is so much better than the "Going up to/and we'll win the cup" version and unlike the verses of the traditional song, it isn't dated at all. I think you could get people to sing it, after a bit of effort mind, especially considering everyone has now seen the banner.

I wish the club would put the (proper) words on the big screens karaoke style so everyone could sing it together.........

This (These)

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I always sing stand or fall.......unless it's FA cup day

This is what I sing

For we're the men from Sussex, Sussex by the Sea.
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men are we;
And when you go to Sussex, whoever you may be,
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
People don't like to hear it, but if the full song is ever to catch on, the words need modernising. Many people, particularly the youngsters, will not sing about their gay hearts and merry bugles!

Yep have to agree. Last season I suggested this, but it was met with the usual NSC mixed reaction:shrug:

First Verse;

Now is the time for football,
Now let your hearts bleed blue,
Hark to the merry seagulls
Sounding our way through.
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me,
And I’ll sing you a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea!

I think it is a fairly rounded attempt.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Don't sing it because I don't sing, but if you are going too, the correct version should be used surely? It's one of the few songs that is truly ours, so should be treated with respect...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here