Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar 2022 As little as 45p per hour for migrant workers building World Cup infrastructure

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
http://www.theguardian.com/global-d...qatar-world-cup-stadium-workers-earn-45p-hour

Migrant workers building the first stadium for Qatar's 2022 World Cup have been earning as little as 45p an hour, the Guardian can reveal.

The pay rate appears to be in breach of the tournament organisers' own worker welfare rules and comes despite the Gulf kingdom spending £134bn on infrastructure ahead of the competition.

More than 100 workers from some of the world's poorest countries are labouring in ferocious desert heat on the 40,000-seat al-Wakrah stadium, which has been designed by the British architect Zaha Hadid and is due to host a quarter-final.

Pay slips show they are toiling up to 30 days a month for as little as £4.90 a day. The rates are among the lowest the Guardian found during a week-long investigation into conditions for migrant labourers across Qatar's construction industry, and come despite pledges by the tournament's organisers to make workers' rights "our top priority".

More on the link above.......

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Do you think FIFA or Qatar give a flying f**k as to what the Guardian report?
The Qatari's will just point to the endless supply of migrant workers who keep coming & say, "if it's so bad, why do they come?" They don't care about human rights, rates of pay, they care even less what we think.

I'm worried that the more they build, the less chance of the WC being given to somewhere that actually deserves the tournament & fans will want to go to.

I work in an industry which racialy discrminates in its pay scales, although it's being being watched a bit closer these days due to Maritime Labour laws being tightened up. We actually have Human Resources now!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
FIFA don't give a flying f*ck sadly. And nobody in world football has the gonads to stand up to them.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Still think we should just boycott 2018 and 2022, it takes the high moral ground and besides until we re-structure English football we're wasting our time.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
As a carer looking after my disabled mrs I get £55 a weeks carers allowance which is taken from our ESA claim (literally taken from one hand to give in the other) and "topped up" with carers premium of £35 a week for being on call 168 hours a week, or 20.8p per hour. The only difference between being unemployed and doing what I do for 20.8p an hour.
Carers such as myself save the country billions every year yet work for less than a pittance.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here