Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attitude of new signings

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
I Don't start many threads but some thoughts keeps bouncing round my head.

One thing that is really striking when listening to/watching the interviews with NT, COG and DS is just what a great attitude they seem to have both with regards to their former clubs and new employers.

COG talks of 'earning his move' to Brighton, whilst both he and DS are full of genuine praise for the town and facilities at the club (DS even mentions that he may not have moved, had it not been to Brighton, with BZ a major influence). Furthermore the way DS talks about his engagement with the non-playing staff at Fulham is really impressive. NT seems similarly grounded and the fact that he speaks so many languages shows that he is no slouch in the brain stakes.

Now some might say 'who cares' just play football well! - But I cant help but think that we are building a squad of real professionals that can communicate well (internally and externally) and create a really strong team spirit throughout the club.

I also remember this being one of the key arguments for a recruitment team...that they have the time to understand the players personal as well as athletic attributes.

By this measure Burke et al seem to be doing a great job

......lets just hope that Kemmy is the exception that proves the rule!

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Apologies to Hughes for not mentioning him once in a thread about new signings....lets just hope thats because he turns out to be as quietly effective as upson

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Good stuff - and interesting you mention BZ, as that team spirit you're referring to calls to mind what we had in 00/02.

I'm already SO excited about this coming season.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

One thing that is really striking when listening to/watching the interviews with NT, COG and DS is just what a great attitude they seem to have both with regards to their former clubs and new employers.

COG talks of 'earning his move' to Brighton, whilst both he and DS are full of genuine praise for the town and facilities at the club (DS even mentions that he may not have moved, had it not been to Brighton, with BZ a major influence). Furthermore the way DS talks about his engagement with the non-playing staff at Fulham is really impressive. NT seems similarly grounded and the fact that he speaks so many languages shows that he is no slouch in the brain stakes.

Now some might say 'who cares' just play football well! - But I cant help but think that we are building a squad of real professionals that can communicate well (internally and externally) and create a really strong team spirit throughout the club.

I also remember this being one of the key arguments for a recruitment team...that they have the time to understand the players personal as well as athletic attributes.

I appreciate your point of view. Agree that they all seem to have a certain modesty and decency about them, coupled with the attitude that they have to make the effort and will not be handed success on a plate - a winning combination, hopefully.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

Great post. I was reflecting on this myself this morning having read some of Stockdales tweets, interviews and general viewpoint coming out of Fulham. Time will tell but it feels like we have an identikit player profile that we are looking for regardless of the position they play.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I think what is emerging is that despite the moaning, we have a recruitment team that is taking a measured and professional approach. They are doing a good job. It's not just about throwing money around.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
One thing I noticed about DS tweets, he even re-tweeted a couple that were slagging him off! No response included but you got the impression he was chuckling at his detractors whilst recognising their opinion.

I wish I could say that I was that reasonable...

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I think what is emerging is that despite the moaning, we have a recruitment team that is taking a measured and professional approach. They are doing a good job. It's not just about throwing money around.

Totally correct.

Paul Barber today....

“I would also ask our fans to be patient. However frustrating it may be for some of our supporters, it makes no sense for us to talk publicly about our targets, our budget or our priorities - but fans should not mistake this silence for inactivity."

Good he appreciates it's not ALL of us.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think you raise a good point. I'm sure some won't forgive me for saying this but when Gus was in charge and we got promoted from League One we certainly did not have the best players, but we had a great team spirit and a feeling of togetherness. Having a unity and a great team bond is invaluable and should translate into the effort and performance we see on the pitch. Here's hoping :)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think you raise a good point. I'm sure some won't forgive me for saying this but when Gus was in charge and we got promoted from League One we certainly did not have the best players, but we had a great team spirit and a feeling of togetherness. Having a unity and a great team bond is invaluable and should translate into the effort and performance we see on the pitch. Here's hoping :)

Indeed, didn't do Burnley any harm last season.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Stockdale will have played at lot with Hughes as well at Fulham. So hopefully they will know each others game well. Important for a keeper to have a good understanding with his defence.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Totally correct.

Paul Barber today....

“I would also ask our fans to be patient. However frustrating it may be for some of our supporters, it makes no sense for us to talk publicly about our targets, our budget or our priorities - but fans should not mistake this silence for inactivity."

Good he appreciates it's not ALL of us.

I thought he should have been forthright in his message and replaced "some of our supporters" with "the bedwetters in our fanbase".

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A post on a Fulham board mentioned that we are recruiting a nice guy ex-Fulham defence, it also went on to say that they should have kept Hughes. There is lots of positive comment on the Stockdale signing.

I pleased with our recruitment so far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here