Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland board reflecting NSC?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Have they also got loads of threads about their ex-managers?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I saw Gus' comments earlier today and my first feeling was absolute relief that he's not here anymore.

Transfer windows are tricky things and you don't need him saying stuff like: "I'm waiting and waiting which is not nice".

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think Pure Football should be split into two forums for the bed wetters and the happy clappers and each of us should decide which one we want to join.

They are really just copying NSC thread by thread

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
They haven't said there loose yet

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I saw Gus' comments earlier today and my first feeling was absolute relief that he's not here anymore.

Transfer windows are tricky things and you don't need him saying stuff like: "I'm waiting and waiting which is not nice".

Like Sami's saying you mean?

Gus built the strongest squad we've seen at the Amex. A push-over manager like Oscar began the process of weakening it. Hopefully Sami will be more of a Gus than an Oscar

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gus built the strongest squad we've seen at the Amex. A push-over manager like Oscar began the process of weakening it. Hopefully Sami will be more of a Gus than an Oscar

Harsh, of course Gus built the strongest team, he was given loads of money to do so and wanted out as soon as he was told the gravy train had stopped. Oscar had his best player and Barnes sold from under his nose, the worst injury crisis I have seen in 25 years plus of watching the Albion and was not backed in the transfer market. Don't let that get in the way of your bias though :smile:

I too hope we are in a position to give Sami a decent budget and only a blinkered fool would think Oscar had a competitive budget. Whatever Sami gets is still likely to be way way less than Gus was given.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

We've only been at the Amex 3 years though and Gus had two of those and Oscar just one. Gus took us to 10th in the first season, 4th in the next with 75 points. Oscar, in his only season in the English game took us to 6th with 72 points. Gus's first season at the Amex we scored 52 and conceded 52. Under Oscar we scored 55 and conceded 40.

And according to Poyet he had hit the ceiling here so 4th was the best he could have got us. Oscar's first stab was 3 points less and two slots in the ladder worse than Gus's own self-professed best possible. And given this ceiling that Gus said exists, we would therefore still have lost the players that we did lose (Ulloa, Bridcutt). Would Poyet have strengthened the side with new signings? Possibly, but for every Ulloa there's a Sandaza, for every Bridcutt there's a Harley. And Poyet let Wood and Murray go, don't forget.

In short, I've no idea how you can say Oscar was a push-over manager who weakened the side.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How do you let Wood go when he was a West Brom player on loan to us?

The fact that this now premier league striker left us to go on another loan to another Championship side suggests that we could have kept him on loan at the very least. Poyet chose not to and broke the bank with CMS. A goal every 3 games wasn't too shabby a record compared with our record signing CMS who averages a goal every four games.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The fact that this now premier league striker left us to go on another loan to another Championship side suggests that we could have kept him on loan at the very least. Poyet chose not to and broke the bank with CMS. A goal every 3 games wasn't too shabby a record compared with our record signing CMS who averages a goal every four games.

Poyet was asked about Wood in an interview, the following season, and said he wasn't given the opportunity to take him on loan again. It was up to West Brom who had the loan.

Wood had a good spell with Millwall but hardly set the world alight at Birmingham or Leicester.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Poyet was asked about Wood in an interview, the following season, and said he wasn't given the opportunity to take him on loan again. It was up to West Brom who had the loan..

You got a link for that anywhere?

Wood had a good spell with Millwall but hardly set the world alight at Birmingham or Leicester.

Ulloa 23 goals in 50 games (2.2 games a goal)
Wood at Birmingham 11 goals in 29 games (2.6 games a goal)
Wood at Leicester 19 goals in 53 games (2.8 goals a game)

That's just 4 goals less in 3 more games than Ulloa who, by all accounts, had a superb time at the Albion. Wood played 26 games last season for champions Leicester. It seems that the Leicester manager thinks that he's doing okay. The cold hard stats back this up too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You got a link for that anywhere?

Ulloa 23 goals in 50 games (2.2 games a goal)
Wood at Birmingham 11 goals in 29 games (2.6 games a goal)
Wood at Leicester 19 goals in 53 games (2.8 goals a game)

That's just 4 goals less in 3 more games than Ulloa who, by all accounts, had a superb time at the Albion. Wood played 26 games last season for champions Leicester. It seems that the Leicester manager thinks that he's doing okay. The cold hard stats back this up too.

This was at a Fans Forum. I would imagine you could find it on Nsc by doing a search. Try searching for West Brom to narrow it down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here