Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] 01273 numbers to be dialled in full locally from October

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They really need to advertise this, it's going to confuse an awful lot of old people.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Only ever use the landline to call my mobile when I've lost it in the house.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Would it not make sense to stop the situation where you have to have a landline to get broadband? In other words you'd still technically have the line... but if you're not using it as a phone you wouldn't need to be allocated a number. Or is that too sensible?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I haven't used a landline for about 2 years now.

Only ever use the landline to call my mobile when I've lost it in the house.

While I use my mobile more i definitely use the landline for some local numbers. Taxi ordering - because then I just have to press a number to get the cab to come to the house asap. Takeaways which are loaded in to the speed dial (which I will probably have to change) and friends in our old house when I had an evening and weekend BT package and didn't want to max out my mobile minutes.

Am I ANCIENT?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Would it not make sense to stop the situation where you have to have a landline to get broadband? In other words you'd still technically have the line... but if you're not using it as a phone you wouldn't need to be allocated a number. Or is that too sensible?

Makes sense. But would hit BT's and SKY's profits!. Obviously the line is still needed to provide broadband but yes the phone number could be re-allocated and you could be billed for Broadband via your IP address.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Let's hope they put a simple 'Please re-dial putting 01273 first' message on all failed calls, for the elderly and infirm of mind, so the transition isn't too taxing ???

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I don't have a landline, but with Virgin get Broadband and TV package
Why would I want a landline with loads of free minutes on my mobile

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Don't even know the number of my land line, have never given it out and so no one ever calls it. Not even sure where it is. Its plugged in so we can use broadband, and no other purpose.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Maybe the different area code in 5 years could be 0273...radical I know

Ofcom has already reserved 023 (plus 8 digits) as the replacement area code but now forecasts that 01273 will have enough number blocks to last another 10 years or so by using 0 and 1 after the dialling code. All figure numbers are no different to us quoting mobile numbers so hopefully even the elderly will not be totally confused.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

I believe Ofcom refuse point-blank to allow this. "Naked DSL" is what its known as where it is offered. The need to call emergency services is cited; ignoring that so many people have no landline anyway.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Don't even know the number of my land line, have never given it out and so no one ever calls it. Not even sure where it is. Its plugged in so we can use broadband, and no other purpose.

Be careful with that, as many years ago, due to not using the landline because of having the mobile, BT actually charged me for Caller Display or something similar, which was normally free, as I had not made two chargeable calls in the previous three months WTF!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here