Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our so-called "green" council now having a pop at cyclists

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
So we should allow everyone to flout the planning laws? That is the route to anarchy! After all - just how difficult is it to take a
six-year olds bike through the front door and stick it in the back garden?!! (And more importantly when has Bates Road ever been in Withdean ffs?!)

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Nothing to do about being green, stick the ugly eyesore in the back garden where a shed belongs.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Nothing to do about being green, stick the ugly eyesore in the back garden where a shed belongs.

[emoji468][emoji217][emoji598][emoji597][emoji590][emoji604][emoji603][emoji592][emoji600][emoji595][emoji594][emoji468]

Last edited:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
[emoji468][emoji217][emoji598][emoji597][emoji590][emoji604][emoji603][emoji592][emoji600][emoji595][emoji594]
For the sake of accuracy there should be cyclists two abreast at the head of the queue with another having a road rage fit with a granny driving an Austin metro.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
For the sake of accuracy there should be cyclists two abreast at the head of the queue with another having a road rage fit with a granny driving an Austin metro.

Edit[emoji57]

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Planning departments employ people with tiny brains, in my experience, especially Brighton & Hove. If you want to construct a new dwelling in Brighton and Hove the most important feature to get right to satisfy the Planning department is............The Cycle Shed. Doesn't seem to matter where you put it, as long as there is one in the design. I'm surprised The Albion got away without constructing a giant hanger to house the cycles that people would use to cycle to matches.
Oooo! This could turn into a rant. Another thing that is loosely connected is the habit of house designs being ruined by sticking the garage in front of the house, so that all your can see of the house design is the brick side of a garage. :rant:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

'Caroline Lucas, the local Green MP, tweeted: “Am on the case – sounds very strange.”

In a statement later, she said: “I have contacted the local planning authority about the situation. On the face of things, the orders seem to me to be unreasonable and don’t sit well with all the positive measures the council is taking to promote cycling. I hope the authority will delay enforcement so that the decisions can be reviewed.”'

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
They look better than all the bins outside also are some of the houses doubling up as bin and bike stores as many of the houses don't have access to the back and this is the price we have to pay for being greener and it better having the sheds than concreting over the front gardens to make parking spaces .I think the greens should concentrate on increasing the recycling targets in the city and looking after the bin men and residents.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems stupidly draconian having a 'crackdown' and giving people 28 days to destroy their bike sheds. Maybe if they were just asked to paint them a council-approved shade of green then everybody would be happy.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
It's 5 1/2 feet tall, 2 feet taller than needed? AND the doors arn't open for a better photo Oppo prob because it's full of other stuff & not just bikes.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

:rolleyes: What does having a 'so-called green council' have to do with this? This is a piece of nonsense from the planning department, which is apolitical.

They look better than all the bins outside also are some of the houses doubling up as bin and bike stores as many of the houses don't have access to the back and this is the price we have to pay for being greener and it better having the sheds than concreting over the front gardens to make parking spaces .I think the greens should concentrate on increasing the recycling targets in the city and looking after the bin men and residents.

They are and they do. This load of nonsense is nothing to do with them as a party.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Errr so the planning dept (who are planners, not green councillors) have found a pattern of owners going against planning legislation and are acting on it. The Tory councillor jumps on it to attack the greens, the greens respond by saying they'll look into it. They looked into it and are trying to review it.

How the hell do you get to 'Our so-called "green" council now having a pop at cyclists'. Did you actually read it?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
'Caroline Lucas, the local Green MP, tweeted: “Am on the case – sounds very strange.”

In a statement later, she said: “I have contacted the local planning authority about the situation. On the face of things, the orders seem to me to be unreasonable and don’t sit well with all the positive measures the council is taking to promote cycling. I hope the authority will delay enforcement so that the decisions can be reviewed.”'

She must be getting pretty bloody bored of having wipe the council's arse every other week. She's got far more important things to be doing.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
What the flip has someones front garden, as long as its is well kept, got to do with the council? Its there front garden, not the councils. Fascists.

I thought planning permission was only needed for a 'permanent structure'?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You need planning permission for almost anything which will affect the aesthetics of the plot or road.

Unless you're the council who can just shove those ugly communal bins anywhere they like including double yellow lines and dangerous corners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here