Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American football question

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
In your opinion, does this sequence of photos show the quarterback legitimately fumbling the ball, or a facemask penalty... and if the defense recovered the fumble, whose ball should it be on the next down?

image.jpg

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'd say that's a penalty against the defence and as such what happens to the ball after the fumble is irrelevant

Then again, I'm not an expert and I'm probably wrong

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As said by Bladders.

Facemask pretty much overrules all calls when there's doubt, there's no doubt on this one.

The defensive players first move is to the FM.
Without it the QB would seem to be throwing forward at the point of the fumble, therefore the ball is live and in play.

But as said all irrelevant as everybody is going 15 yards up field.

Oh and 'WHY'?

Even for NSC this seems a little random.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Face mask penalty

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
As said by Bladders.

Facemask pretty much overrules all calls when there's doubt, there's no doubt on this one.

The defensive players first move is to the FM.
Without it the QB would seem to be throwing forward at the point of the fumble, therefore the ball is live and in play.

But as said all irrelevant as everybody is going 15 yards up field.

Yep, what he said.

So what was the outcome?

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Apologies for the sh1te nature of this photo - I've only got the original on my laptop so I dragged this off my Photobox gallery.

image.jpg

The QB looks suitably miffed based on the call of a fumble and turnover. I'm not sure anyone watching saw anything except a flagrant facemask... except for the assembled refereeing crew. Poor really.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
TBH that is a crap tackle by the LB, he seems to have plenty of time to get to the QB and as such, he should have wrapped him and sacked him for the loss of yardage. Or, did the QB step up out of the pocket and wrong foot the LB as he went for a QB sneak ? if so, it's a reaction rather than a bad challenge and maybe they should have replayed the play with no loss of down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here