Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there such thing as a Sussex, or even Brightonian accent?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I noticed whilst in Hampshire the other week, that they seem to have a slight regional accent, then as you move into Dorset and across it gets more pronounced. Essex also has a distinctive accent.
Kent and Surrey seem to speak broadly with the same accent as we do in Sussex.

However, I have a Northern friend that reckons there is a definite Brighton accent, and we can be spotted a mile off.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I noticed whilst in Hampshire the other week, that they seem to have a slight regional accent, then as you move into Dorset and across it gets more pronounced. Essex also has a distinctive accent.
Kent and Surrey seem to speak broadly with the same accent as we do in Sussex.

However, I have a Northern friend that reckons there is a definite Brighton accent, and we can be spotted a mile off.

most certainly especially the ladies

and very nice too

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
when we sing we are brighton from the south-we tend to pronounce brighton,bwighton
yes there is an accent,although we are more like -lee undener's than anything else,Hampshire get's more farmer like..

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
When I lived in Lincolnshire, I was always accused of coming from London :shrug:

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
when we sing we are brighton from the south-we tend to pronounce brighton,bwighton
yes there is an accent,although we are more like -lee undener's than anything else,Hampshire get's more farmer like..

See I thought it was more Brigh'n (no T) that was commonly sung.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
That's actually more like it. That said there are probably variances in accent between East Brighton, Central Hove, and North Hove.

maybe 70 years ago,but not now,i think if there was it would be so subtle,it would be unnoticeable.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There was a Sussex accent but it was drowned out by all the erzaz mockney arrivistes from Sarf Lunnon and Esex what moved dahn sarf.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Definitely but all but died out now. As a teenager I had a part time job in a garden centre, one of the old boys was Sussex born and bred and had never travelled out of the county. The accent was very similar to a West Country dialect.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Depends whereabouts in Brighton, or even Sussex you are from. It really does range from the peasant caancil to very well-spoken.

So I guess the short answer is 'no'!

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
i've worked with many northerners that have toned down their original regional accents to the point that it's no longer noticeable. Apart from the odd 'baath, or grass' slip, you wouldn't know.

I wonder if there was once definitive Brighton/Sussex accent that's been changed by all the non natives doing their own versions of the regional accent.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here