Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surely this must now stop Qatar from holding the World Cup..

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Migrant workers who built luxury offices used by Qatar's 2022 football World Cup organisers have told the Guardian they have not been paid for more than a year and are now working illegally from cockroach-infested lodgings."

"The migrants are squeezed seven to a room, sleeping on thin, dirty mattresses on the floor and on bunk beds, in breach of Qatar's own labour standards. They live in constant fear of imprisonment because they have been left without paperwork after the contractor on the project, Lee Trading and Contracting, collapsed. They say they are now being exploited on wages as low as 50p an hour."

"I earned no money," said a 35-year-old Nepalese worker and father-of-three who said he had lost a year's salary on the project. "If I had money to buy a ticket I would go home.""

Outrage!

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/jul/28/qatar-world-cup-migrants-not-paid-building-office

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yeah, because workers dying and the poor being relocated meant the world cup was moved from Brazil.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
If I remember correctly Qatar admitted that nearly 1000 migrant workers had died already. Who knows what the actual figure is...

FIFA are a ****ing disgrace, but they will turn a blind eye once more, obviously.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If I remember correctly Qatar admitted that nearly 1000 migrant workers had died already. Who knows what the actual figure is...

FIFA are a ****ing disgrace, but they will turn a blind eye once more, obviously.

Not only is FIFA a ****ing disgrace, Qatar is a joke of a country. In fact the two are fairly well matched.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Qatar, Russia, FIFA. I still get angry when I remember watching that draw. I just hope all 3 get found out.

My ideal scenario. Somebody new at FIFA (NOT Platini) with integrity & some sort of idea of how a fan thinks & feels about the game, or at the very least what a good WC means to a fan.

Next WC taken from the Mafia that is Russia. For several reasons. Given to either U.S. Australia, or the most suitable country in Asia, probably back to S Korea / Japan. If it had to stay in Europe, then pretty much any country, although short notice would probably mean one of either Italy, Spain, Germany. Maybe Holland /Belgium. We all know that most of us will be long gone when England even get considered again because we are the cause of all this "trouble" according to FIFA.

Qatar: I just hope that this gets taken from them. Surely this should have gone to Australia if Blatter means what he says about his legacy being taking football to new countries? Qatar ticks not one box for any fan wanting to attend a WC, not one.

& breathe!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure FIFA do refunds on back-handers.

Plenty of time for whole ethically-minded federations to back out between now and then, and set up their own alternative structure. Would only need UEFA to pull out and the whole FIFA thing would fall apart like the terminally corrupt deck of cards it is.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The only thing that will really cause an issue is shifting of European schedules, depressing as that is. The corruption stuff might still come to a head, but I'm not convinced.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Qatar are also one of the major bankrollers of Hamas - so Islamic fanaticism is their thing too. With that in mind what would happen if Israel qualified?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It just shows how corrupt FIFA are, they do not care about loss of life only money. They won't back down on Russia, or Qatar the money has been sifted, shared, and spent end of. Counties need to stand up, walk out or shut up we the people in this country could start a petition for the FA to stand up and leave, it's not like we will ever stage or win anything anyway.

lola

Jul 28, 2014
Finland
Qatar

Those workers are not more then tip of the iceberg! How they build normally? Same way I bet!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The estimated cost to Brazil of hosting the World Cup is somewhere between fifteen and twenty billion US dollars. South Africa spent around six billion!

The host doesn't receive the TV income, tickets nor corporate sponsorship.

Better maybe that Russia and Qatar hang onto these gigs - less money to spend on less desirable things

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here