Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AVG Anti Virus (Free Download) Help Needed

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hi Everybody

I have just bought a Windows 8 laptop and I am having great difficulty in downloading the free edition of AVG. Every site I have looked at is trying to either charge me (The avg site) or put me down the path of loading dodgy trojans. I have been googling everything before installing, just to be on the safe side.

I have always used AVG Free in the past. No problem.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, preferably with a link?

Cheers.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Had the same about a month back. My laptop is now absolutely riddled with malware and creeper ads. Christ it is pissing me off.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I tried that one earlier Napier's Knee. It prompts you to download a file called rcp_dcomnew_sec_7.exe from the systweak company. Google is full of methods to remove this software. Maybe I am worrying needlessly.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I stopped using AVG some months ago when they started trying to charge me for a beta version, which I had installed for at least a couple of years, and before that the plain old AVG for years. I then installed Avast, if you aren't careful they try and send you down the same route.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Doesn't windows 8 come with Microsoft Security Essentials built in?

Not sure. I have never used Windows 8 before. It's got Windows Defender. I am just used to AVG. It has never let me down.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not sure. I have never used Windows 8 before. It's got Windows Defender. I am just used to AVG. It has never let me down.
I'm pretty sure it does. I switched from AVG to MSE a few years ago. I was looking at someone Win 8 PC recently, and tried to install MSE for them, and it said I didn't need to as it was part of the OS. You can double check, but I don't think you need AVG.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm pretty sure it does. I switched from AVG to MSE a few years ago. I was looking at someone Win 8 PC recently, and tried to install MSE for them, and it said I didn't need to as it was part of the OS. You can double check, but I don't think you need AVG.

A quick google came up with this.

No. Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender, which has been improved in Windows 8 to provide the same level of malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials.

You do not need to install Microsoft Security Essentials and it will not work with Windows 8. Microsoft will continue to provide and improve Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP. If you are upgrading to Windows 8, you should uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials first.

Cheers

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Malwarebytes free is worth downloading. I use it with AVG.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here