Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfers In - Calm down lads and lasses!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Seriously there has been so much negative bullshit and bed wetting, even by NSC standards over the past few weeks regarding lack of signings, its staggering, even for us.

I get the feeling the club, and Burke in particular, cannot win with some of you. We could sign any number of players tomorrow if we choose to. We haven't because, like most other clubs, we want the best we can get.

Personally I am relaxed as I ever have been going into a season. I think this will be our year, I really do.

I don't think for one second we will have the squad in place for the opening game of season. But it will be by 1st September.

What would some of you prefer. To panic buy and pay over the odds?

For example we want Ward. So, should we have paid (I don't know the exact figures) say £14k a week for him a month ago, or hold out and get him for £10k a week or less. If we are giving him a three year deal, thats a huge difference. Clubs don't seem to be queuing up with huge wages for him to they! If it doesn't happen, I sure we have another left back lined up.

What makes this season even harder for the club, is its the first year FFP rules will come into effect and make a difference.

Agents by their nature will be holding out for the best price they can get, and before too much longer they will start to realise that they are not going to get the type of deals they could last time out, because clubs cannot much the old wages and stay within FFP rules.

Why do you think Kusczcak is without a club still?? This time last season he would have been snapped up within weeks. He's holding out for his old wage or close to it, and not getting anything.

So a club like the Albion who demand the best deals they can get will sit tight, and before much longer agents and players will start getting nervous and lower their demands in the fear of missing out.

The biggest problem for me (and as much as I detest Poyet I'm in full agreement with him here) the transfer window should shut before the season starts.

But it doesn't and I am completely as ease if the club do not make a signing until the last day of August.

Lets be honest, whoever got us £800k for 3 months worth of Ashley Barnes, and then got us £10m(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) for Ulloa, is pretty savey in the transfer market.

Lets all calm down, sit and wait, and stop trying to blame the wrong people.

Just remember, we could sign any number of players tomorrow. We choose not to, because we want the best available, and for that we will have to wait a little longer.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We have already made 3 signings and we'll make some more before the start of the season, no need to worry- our squad is good enough for a mid table finish anyway. It's just the want want needy nature of football fans, it really puts me off TBH.

Comepletely agree that the transfer window should close before the start of the season though.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Another LICKER who needs to look at a calendar and see the season starts in less than 2 weeks, last minute dashing around doesn't work. We knew 3 months ago we needed a goalkeeper so what haven't we signed one yet ?
Ernest, beleive me the last thing I am is a licker. I've had more than enough negative things to say about the club in the past few years, including why we held onto Poyet and Mr Negatve Mark II for so long. As said above, would you prefer to over pay for a keeper for the next two or three seasons, or wait and get the right one in, on the right deal? If we get a keeper in the next couple of days, and if its who we all think it is, whats the difference of signing him next week or 3 months ago, other than about a 100k in wages!!! Just gald you're not in charge of player recruitment!!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Are we that strapped for cash that we couldnt afford the wages of a keeper since June?
Of course we are not. But if it is Stockdale, we are getting a ****ing top goalkeeper who maybe wasn't available in June. So should we have signed a lesser keeper then, just so we had a keeper to play 30 minutes in the friendlies? Or wait for the right one, who may well make a difference to our season?

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
Does anybody know the reason why the window doesn't shut at the start of the new season?
It seems to me to give the prems relegated clubs an advantage as they are able to snap up the best players early in the window giving them chance to prepare better for the new season, leaving clubs like ours to play a game of poker with agents for the rest.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Does anybody know the reason why the window doesn't shut at the start of the new season?
It seems to me to give the prems relegated clubs an advantage as they are able to snap up the best players early in the window giving them chance to prepare better for the new season, leaving clubs like ours to play a game of poker with agents for the rest.

How does it give them an advantage? The window is open for the same length of time for everyone, so it's an even playing field in that respect. Some clubs like Chelsea for example want to do all their business as early as possible (and with their spending power they can) - clubs like Brighton may prefer to wait a bit longer in order to get the best deal for the player. There's no 'one size fits all' strategy for transfer dealings.

May 26, 2004
Hassocks
With fpp proper to contend with, there will be downward pressure on players salaries - we are in a much better position than most clubs who don't have parachute payments with our high turnover - but we are talking here about salaries of £10k a week here - that's still £520k a year. Fpp will be a leveller and this is the season when it happens.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc - good points, well made - only you've left out one crucial thing, what are your expectations for a good season?

If you still want a stab at the play-offs, writing off the first few weeks of the season to chance is a gamble, a calculated one I agree, as the current squad might grind out a few wins.

It's not screaming promotion urgency to me - we're lacking anyone at the top of the club with that mad glint in the eye that the likes of Poyet had that bangs the table, infruriates everyone for sure, but also gets fans excited and the job done. It's looking as dull as an Oscar post match assessment

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
This topic of the transfer window closing before the season starts, and I do agree with it, but seeing as the leagues across Europe or even the world, do not all start at the same time, would it be that difficult for the football league to start the season on the first weekend in September? and for it to finish a few weeks later?

Is there a good reason why this can't happen?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Of course we are not. But if it is Stockdale, we are getting a ****ing top goalkeeper who maybe wasn't available in June. So should we have signed a lesser keeper then, just so we had a keeper to play 30 minutes in the
friendlies? Or wait for the right one, who may well make ai difference to our season?[/QUOTE

Only my opinion but I do not think he is much if at all better than Kuszczak, so should have offered TK another contract and released Casper

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys

From what I remember, it was a date agreed across europe and therefor wouldn't coincide with the beginning of every countries league.

May 26, 2004
Hassocks
In reply to Bens Grandad..... I reckon it all comes down to money, and what TK was being paid / thinks he's worth.....

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I don't think for one second we will have the squad in place for the opening game of season. But it will be by 1st September.

Whilst I share your confidence that the club will eventually get the squad in place, I think we'll probably need at least a couple of loans to complete the squad after Sept 1st.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

It seems to be so as to coincide with major European Leagues, all of which are end August. Given the internationalization of the transfer market, it would probably cause even more chaos and frustration if England's market were to close a month earlier than that of other European Leagues. July would be too early in years of World Cup and Euros in particular.

The problem really is that our season is too long and starts too early - I would favour two fewer teams in each division but that aint; going to happen.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
You may well marvel at the club's ability to save a grand a week on a players contract by holding out for longer but surely it would be better for everyone if SH had players in ASAP to give him the longest amount of time working with them. We have needed players since January.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here