Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cats appetite affected by weather?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
My cats are hardly eating at the moment. They whine at the usual feeding times, but then when I put their normal food down they aren't interested. Eventually at the end of the day or when I get up in the morning, I find the bowls pretty empty, so I guess they are grazing. However, it must not taste too nice when it's been sitting out for hours? I just hope one of them isn't eating it all on behalf of the others.

I've been putting out dry food, and wet food and also cat milk which I keep in the fridge to keep it nice and cold.

They are drinking a lot of water though, so try to keep that fresh. I'm just concerned because they usually have big appetites and always love meal times.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
My cats are hardly eating at the moment. They whine at the usual feeding times, but then when I put their normal food down they aren't interested. Eventually at the end of the day or when I get up in the morning, I find the bowls pretty empty, so I guess they are grazing. However, it must not taste too nice when it's been sitting out for hours? I just hope one of them isn't eating it all on behalf of the others.

I've been putting out dry food, and wet food and also cat milk which I keep in the fridge to keep it nice and cold.

They are drinking a lot of water though, so try to keep that fresh. I'm just concerned because they usually have big appetites and always love meal times.

none of ours are eating a lot (mind you two of them are pigs anyway and could do with losing a bit of weight)
fresh fish with a little tuna at night satisfies them

none of ours are eating a lot (mind you two of them are pigs anyway and could do with losing a bit of weight)
fresh fish with a little tuna at night satisfies them

If you're going to give your cats Tuna, make sure it's the stuff in Spring Water. Cats only have little kidneys and are prone to kidney failure, the salt in brine can have bad effects on them.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
It's supposed to cool a bit this coming week so that should hopefully get them back to normal eating habits.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
what fish do you give them?

Mine have quite thick coats, and so spend most of the day sheltering. I feel really bad for them at the moment as they are all hot and bothered and bicker more than usual, and are getting no pleasure from food.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If you're going to give your cats Tuna, make sure it's the stuff in Spring Water. Cats only have little kidneys and are prone to kidney failure, the salt in brine can have bad effects on them.
been doing this for years
when we first started to give them tuna in spring water M&S were the only ones who sold it now everybody does it
ASDA are doing twox4 tins at £6
SO WE FILLED UP WITH IT

THE BRINE ONE IS OK AS LONG AS YOU STRAIN IT VERY WELL

and can I add we give them bottled water
tap water in this area causes struvite (s) crystals especially bad with male cats

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Mine have quite thick coats, and so spend most of the day sheltering. I feel really bad for them at the moment as they are all hot and bothered and bicker more than usual, and are getting no pleasure from food.

tesco own brand frozen (as close to fresh as you might get)£1.68 per pack last 3 days for 3 cats

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Nothing to fret over. It's a cats job to be a fussy, annoying arse.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

When i was in Turkey last year you would see cats sitting next to owners(fishermen) along the habour waiting for their dinner to arrive and sure enough it did. The fishermen would wait for the right to fish to feed their cats. It was funny seeing the fishermen throw the fish on the ground and the fish flipping about while the cat is pawing at it before moving in for the kill. They normally ate head first. Can't get fresher than that.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

ain't that the truth

When i was in Turkey last year you would see cats sitting next to owners(fishermen) along the habour waiting for their dinner to arrive and sure enough it did. The fishermen would wait for the right to fish to feed their cats. It was funny seeing the fishermen throw the fish on the ground and the fish flipping about while the cat is pawing at it before moving in for the kill. They normally ate head first. Can't get fresher than that.

strays who catch mice will always eat the head first
I was told that was because other parts of the body carry infections which seems fairly logical

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
A field mouse eats more than my puss currently so do not worry.

She always has a couple of bowls of Hills dry food down and grazes on them as well as her wet food. Which is prawns and tuna in spring water, a lot of which is going to waste currently.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
A field mouse eats more than my puss currently so do not worry.

She always has a couple of bowls of Hills dry food down and grazes on them as well as her wet food. Which is prawns and tuna in spring water, a lot of which is going to waste currently.

could be nice in a roll

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013

In ten years of having cats, I've never really noticed it before. Then again we've probably not had this sustained period of hot temperatures day and night in recent years.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I might try this, how do you prepare it, what quantity per cat etc?

we have 3 cats and two pieces does for two meals in the morning and at night
little amount of water to the boil and then turn off the heat and leave it to stew a little
out and dry it break up and then add some tuna shredded from the tin (about 3rd per sitting) I can do this while the other half is ever away but it not as good as she does it, I know by the looks I get
they get this for breakfast every day but in this weather they get it at night also
good for their coats and plenty of vitamins as well
I think the fish is Pollock but they just call it white fish

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
My puss eats a lot less than she does in the Winter just leave loads of water about for them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here