Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is Ankergren still doing at the club?

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
He is an appalling goalkeeper who makes disastrous errors (Forest, Middlesborough, Rochdale to name a few) and his pathetic flapping at everything in the air makes the whole defence retreat virtually to the goal line. We would have beaten or drew against Arsenal if he wasn't in goal that day. All the clean sheets in the league 1 title year were down to a good defence and being a brilliant team rather than anything he was doing.

As the season nears I'm beginning to think the club will be happy with his as number 1, with the rookie Walton learning off the 'experienced pro' type thing. This can't happen. Who made the decision to give him a 2 year contract? Why? Awful, awful, awful.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I'm glad we have 'a' senior goalkeeper. It's evident the club aren't happy with him hence Stockdale. He was good in league 1. A total lack of any regular football since can't help.

Mar 2, 2014
He is nowhere near as bad as all that. We all know we need a new goalkeeper, but Ankergren is a perfectly acceptable back up, with the longer term aim of bringing through Christian Walton who will end next season with some first team games behind him and he will be the clear second choice. Ankergren is here to do a job, don't get upset about his presence. He's perfectly capable of doing what he's here to do.

When we sign a new number 1, which we all know we will do, it will be a moot point.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Don't panic. We'll be swooping for a new keeper shortly.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Your a fool if you believe Ankergren will be our first choice keeper this season.

I would suggest his experience will be invaluable to Walton and our new number one once the season starts.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Your a fool if you believe Ankergren will be our first choice keeper this season.

I would suggest his experience will be invaluable to Walton and our new number one once the season starts.

One might also be foolish to anticipate an absence of injuries that might push Casper into the no. 1 slot.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Wasn't he released by Leeds after promotion , which I was surprised about . I don't like saying bad things about Brighton players so I will try not to :) just to say he is not Championship quality , if he is our regular goalkeeper this season , Brighton as a team will suffer .

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I like Capser. And he played over a 120 games for the biggest club in England. And he was our no.1 the last time we were champions of anything. And I've been there when he flapped and when he gifted Forest that goal. He is not as bad as some would make out.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
He is an appalling goalkeeper who makes disastrous errors (Forest, Middlesborough, Rochdale to name a few) and his pathetic flapping at everything in the air makes the whole defence retreat virtually to the goal line. We would have beaten or drew against Arsenal if he wasn't in goal that day. All the clean sheets in the league 1 title year were down to a good defence and being a brilliant team rather than anything he was doing.

As the season nears I'm beginning to think the club will be happy with his as number 1, with the rookie Walton learning off the 'experienced pro' type thing. This can't happen. Who made the decision to give him a 2 year contract? Why? Awful, awful, awful.

What a terrible post. Firstly, he didn't get a 2 year contract so get your facts right before slagging off players. Bruno, Calde and he all signed one year deals.

Secondly, while not being perfect, Ankergren is a decent enough goalkeeper. He makes the odd mistake (as did Brezovan) but he doesn't let us down. He definitely won't be first choice this season and could well end up third choice but the decision was made to keep him presumably because you need three keepers and we weren't going to sign two.

Any point you might have had is shown to be nonsense by you giving him no credit at all for any of the clean sheets in the League 1 Championship year. That shows how pointless this post is.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
One might also be foolish to anticipate an absence of injuries that might push Casper into the no. 1 slot.

But that's always a risk isn't it, we can't afford to have 2 quality players for every positions, risky but it's the only way that's financially viable. To be honest if Stockdale (presumptuous I know) got injured I think I'd prefer to see Walton in goal, I think one of Ankergren's weaknesses is that his confidence is shot to pieces, Walton is one of this younger breed of confident players.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
But that's always a risk isn't it, we can't afford to have 2 quality players for every positions, risky but it's the only way that's financially viable. To be honest if Stockdale (presumptuous I know) got injured I think I'd prefer to see Walton in goal, I think one of Ankergren's weaknesses is that his confidence is shot to pieces, Walton is one of this younger breed of confident players.

I agree actually and that's why Ankergren works well. There aren't many keepers who'd be happy to be second/third choice at this level. If he's happy and knows he will only be called on in case of injury to the new number one and possibly Walton, then I don't think we'd be able to get a better option for that.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
. All the clean sheets in the league 1 title year were down to a good defence and being a brilliant team rather than anything he was doing.

Is the goalkeeper not part of the team or defence then? he is certainly a decent L1 / back up championship keeper.

while i think he wont be number 1 at the start of the season i think he is better than your post implies...

Better than Brez (then again most keepers are!). Useful experience in the squad and an ok bench warmer. Decent shot stopper but poor in the air.

Everything I've heard, which isn't masses, is that he is a popular squad member who buys in to the squad ethos. This is the kind of pro who can help the young lads.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I hope all you lot saying he'll be valuable back up are still happy if our new number one picks up a long term injury.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
What a terrible post. Firstly, he didn't get a 2 year contract so get your facts right before slagging off players. Bruno, Calde and he all signed one year deals.

Secondly, while not being perfect, Ankergren is a decent enough goalkeeper. He makes the odd mistake (as did Brezovan) but he doesn't let us down. He definitely won't be first choice this season and could well end up third choice but the decision was made to keep him presumably because you need three keepers and we weren't going to sign two.

Any point you might have had is shown to be nonsense by you giving him no credit at all for any of the clean sheets in the League 1 Championship year. That shows how pointless this post is.

Charming. Apologies for not getting my facts right. I incorrectly thought it was a 2 year contract. My opinion is that he's not a 'decent enough' keeper. I think he's really poor and his presence gives no confidence to those in front of him. He's ok at best at shot stopping and his distribution with his feet is good but with crossing, coming out and balls in the air he is so uncertain it's unbelievable. While he was part of the team who kept those clean sheets, I was anticipating people pointing out the clean sheets in his defence so I wanted to state that I think that was more due to the class of our team, rather than only his abilities. He can take some credit but I think we would have done the same with an even worse goalkeeper. Additionally, all the mistakes he makes do not constitute the 'odd mistake' too.

I hope I am a fool to think he would be number 1 but our inept recruitment in the 2 plus months since the end of last season leads me to dread that he might end up number 1 which would desperate. Plus as it's been pointed out what about injuries? I don't know why anyone on here can be confident we will sign a goalkeeper before the season starts.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I like Capser. And he played over a 120 games for the biggest club in England. And he was our no.1 the last time we were champions of anything. And I've been there when he flapped and when he gifted Forest that goal. He is not as bad as some would make out.
He actually was having a decent game until that moment. Not sure what was going through his mind against Arsenal to be honest notably on free kicks.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here