Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ebola outbreak watch

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"A US doctor working with ebola patients in Liberia has tested positive for the deadly virus.

Nigerian health authorities, anxious to stop the spread of the disease, are concerned that the sick man had boarded an international flight.

They feared other passengers could take the disease beyond Africa due to weak inspection of passengers and the fact ebola's symptoms are similar to other diseases such as malaria and typhoid.

Officials in Togo, where the sick man's flight had a stopover, also went on high alert after learning that ebola could possibly have spread to a fifth country."

Dec 29, 2011
Not too clued up on Ebola, so I gave it a google:

"There is no specific treatment for the virus with efforts to help people including giving the person either oral rehydration therapy or intravenous fluids. The disease has a high death rate: often between 50% and 90%. It typically occurs in outbreaks in tropical regions of Sub-Saharan Africa. Between 1976, when it was first identified, and 2014, fewer than 1,000 people a year have been infected. The largest outbreak as of 2014 is the ongoing 2014 West Africa Ebola outbreak, which is affecting Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nigeria. The disease was first identified in the Sudan and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Efforts are ongoing to develop a vaccine; however, none exists as of 2014."

Scary stuff. How easily does it spread from person to person? Just being in contact or do you need to touch their blood etc.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Scary stuff. How easily does it spread from person to person? Just being in contact or do you need to touch their blood etc.

Ebola is highly contagious and kills more than 70% of people infected, it is passed by touching bodily fluids of patients even after they die.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I first remember hearing about it 30 years ago when i read an article on holiday and it scared me s***less. However, as far as i know it can only be spread human to human through bodily fluids, although i believe that there has been airborne transmission of filovirus (the family of which ebola is part) between monkeys in a research centre in the USA years ago.

It originated in central africa and was believed to have jumped species through eating infected animals (Most of my knowledge is now over 30 years old).

I found the best thing to do was to stop reading about it :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Ebola is highly contagious and kills more than 70% of people infected, it is passed by touching bodily fluids of patients even after they die.
Making the tradition of 'washing the dead' even scarier.

There was a decent bit about Ebola on, last Monday's Richard Bacon 5-live, podcast.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
guinea-ebola.jpg

Scary scenes

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"A Sierra Leone woman who fled hospital after testing positive for the Ebola virus has died after turning herself in, health officials have told the BBC.

Her family had forcibly removed her from a public hospital on Thursday.

Saudatu Koroma's is the first case of Ebola to be confirmed in the country's capital Freetown, where there are no facilities to treat the virus.

Since February, more than 660 people have died of Ebola in West Africa - the world's deadliest outbreak to date."

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Took me a couple of seconds to realise that they weren't people dressed up as minions.

iu

I was thinking something more along the lines of this, the outfit worn by people during the black death outbreak when they went around looting from the dead

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Remember when thousands died from Bird Flu? No, me neither. Continue with your lives.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
It's also airborne too !
The " bleeding from every orifice " normally gives it away that it's Ebola, but on the other hand I suspect one or two on here have those symptoms every Sunday morning after a weekend at Spoons :p

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Thing is, there is currently no cure for Ebola, and it is also more deadly than Bird Flu

It affects less than 1,000 a year, and unless you're planning to go to West Africa, then I doubt that you would come into contact with it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here