Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Save the Hippodrome

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
What a ridiculous petition.
Leave the Hippodrome as a pigeon dropping centre for another 30 years.
Good idea
Have you even read the business case for the new venue?
Tell me you understand it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What a ridiculous petition.
Leave the Hippodrome as a pigeon dropping centre for another 30 years.
Good idea
Have you even read the business case for the new venue?
Tell me you understand it.[/QUOTE

This in spades.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Please sign this petition folks.
Would hate to loose it :thumbsup:
But they're not knocking it down. In what way are we losing it, and what's the alternative?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I believe the interior is to be utilised as far as is possible in its current form. The building needs to be brought back into popular usage as quickly as is possible to preserve the majority of its architecture and ambience as is possible. The wrong thing to do would be to allow it to remain empty and neglected for many years which is what would happen should the objectors get their way.

People like The West Pier Trust and The Regency Society have a lot to answer for.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'm wonder how many people signing the petition or wanting to see it restored have seen what the cinema proposals are, and how they preserve the main hall as a resturant, with the cinema underneath.

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
i'm wonder how many people signing the petition or wanting to see it restored have seen what the cinema proposals are, and how they preserve the main hall as a resturant, with the cinema underneath.

Spot on. Save the Hippodrome as what for what? There is no viable business case to keep the Hippodrome a music hall venue. If there is please petition supporters,show the business case. You can't . The National Theatre said it was unviable but hey what do they know. Clearly you know better and have done the calculations.
Let's keep it derelict for pigeons - clearly that is where the economic business case stacks up.
Support the status quo!! I'm sure they would headline the pigeon dropping arena for you.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I guess if it isn't turned into a multiplex and restaurant venue the alternative is it becoming derelict and developers jumping in to demolish the building and build a swanky apartment block in its place.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
In the days of DVDs and film downloads...and a cinema round the corner do we need another one.
At one time (50s/60s) there was 32 cinemas in Brighton and Hove...one by one they fell. I still have my 1939 programme from the Hippodrome autographed by none other than Billy Cotton,Alan Breeze and Kathy Kay...meaningless to most of you but in their day were huge stars.
How about turning it into an ice rink,bring back the Brighton Tigers,they had ice shows there before...all a matter of opinions I suppose.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
The place has been empty for how many years? It was a bingo hall for 30+ years prior to that.

This reminds me so much of all the so-called do-gooders who campaigned to save the West Pier.

Maybe they are the same flawed people.

TB

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
In the days of DVDs and film downloads...and a cinema round the corner do we need another one.
At one time (50s/60s) there was 32 cinemas in Brighton and Hove...one by one they fell. I still have my 1939 programme from the Hippodrome autographed by none other than Billy Cotton,Alan Breeze and Kathy Kay...meaningless to most of you but in their day were huge stars.
How about turning it into an ice rink,bring back the Brighton Tigers,they had ice shows there before...all a matter of opinions I suppose.

Brighton Tigers had looked at Black Rock site but not financially viable. Cost of converting Hippodrome prohibitive.
The restaurant maintains the stunning architecture inside with cinema below as already said.
Those continuing to promote the Hippodrome as a music venue are idealistic. Great idea - costs do not stack up. Was looked at as part of this development proposal.
Regency and west pier brigade- looked what they have done for the city. Rusted iron in the sea for years.
Where the past can accommodate the future then keep it for sure.
As the Hippodrome was a bingo hall and a pigeon coup for 30yrs then surely we must move on from that?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
If you look at the plans it is fully reversible too. Do it I say.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not signing it. Is it an ideal scheme? No. But there will NEVER be an ideal scheme and we'll all sit around throwing out scheme after scheme for various reasons until the Hippodrome joins the West Pier. Like Saltdean Lido the Hippodrome need to be adapted for the 21st century.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here