Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby's academy give category 1 status

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Derby's academy give category 1 status.

That's impressive. When can we hope to join them?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm sure our announcement is due any minute in this - source was the meeting with the academy head bloke / Simon Ireland & David Burke at the SOB meeting I think.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I just cannot see any auditor walking into the new training centre without acknowledging that it will be awarded cat 1, even if mistakes are made in the audit the centre offers an insight into the resources accessible to quickly correct something.

It seems unimaginable that it wont get the cat 1, although I havent heard whether they even applied for it this year, although I have heard thats the goal.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I just cannot see any auditor walking into the new training centre without acknowledging that it will be awarded cat 1, even if mistakes are made in the audit the centre offers an insight into the resources accessible to quickly correct something.

It seems unimaginable that it wont get the cat 1, although I havent heard whether they even applied for it this year, although I have heard thats the goal.

The original goal was for Cat2, with a hope to 'reach Cat1 in the future'. It's not just a case of the facilities, far from it. ('Up to 10 different factors were considered in the grading, including productivity rates, training facilities, coaching, education and welfare provisions'

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Der...tory-21938070-detail/story.html#ixzz38UdJLp8g )

It's great news for us as it protects us from losing players to other clubs and allows us to 'poach' from lower category clubs.....

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
People need to remember that our facilities have only just been built. All of the traditional big/bigish/medium clubs have had these running and producing players for years.

As it did with many things, the 90s set us back lightyears with youth development. We won't just catch up all of a sudden overnight.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Exactly. It requires sustained investment over a period, with a certain number of full-time qualified coaches and contact hours at all age groups, and the FA guidelines suggest that around £3.5 m per year is the ballpark figure for a Category 1 academy. The building may look nice, but that's only part of the requirements. Watford recently took the decision to downgrade from Category 1 to Category 3 because they couldn't afford to sustain the investment levels.

If you were cynical (which, thank the good Lord, no-one has ever accused me of being) you might wonder how a club that can't find a bit of extra dosh to pay the wages of a proven left back such as Stephen Ward is aiming to fund a Category 1 academy ...

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Exactly. It requires sustained investment over a period, with a certain number of full-time qualified coaches and contact hours at all age groups, and the FA guidelines suggest that around £3.5 m per year is the ballpark figure for a Category 1 academy. The building may look nice, but that's only part of the requirements. Watford recently took the decision to downgrade from Category 1 to Category 3 because they couldn't afford to sustain the investment levels.

If you were cynical (which, thank the good Lord, no-one has ever accused me of being) you might wonder how a club that can't find a bit of extra dosh to pay the wages of a proven left back such as Stephen Ward is aiming to fund a Category 1 academy ...

ours is also cat one now

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
saw x 2 Derby county in the community minibuses in Crawley the night we played them,shows they are perhaps casting far and wide? or maybe they had a friendly abroad and were using the carpark..?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

That type of expenditure doesn't count against FFP though does it? So perhaps TB is more than happy to dig deep to fund infrastructure that should pay for itself long term, rather than pour more money directly into the pockets of players. It's not as if defenders are impossible to find, good as Ward was last season.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
That type of expenditure doesn't count against FFP though does it? So perhaps TB is more than happy to dig deep to fund infrastructure that should pay for itself long term, rather than pour more money directly into the pockets of players. It's not as if defenders are impossible to find, good as Ward was last season.

Is the right (and very sensible) answer.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Wages not the issue. I hear it's about the transfer fee.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Wages not the issue. I hear it's about the transfer fee.

If we're the only club interested in signing him I don't see Wolves realistically getting a fee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here