Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dead MacBook

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Anyone any idea about this?
Wasn't really focused on what I was doing & went to connect a lead into the USB port, but it was the wrong end of the lead.
My MacBook just died at that moment. Now it won't take a charge when I connect the power lead, just nothing! Tried holding the power button for a while, zilch.
Have I killed it?
Luckily I can get to the store where I bought it, maybe next week. Just wondered if any NSC I-heads had a clue what may have happened & can I do any self help?
Apple online support is my next stop in the morning.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think the battery might just need replacing. I don't think the USB lead has anything to do with it.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I had a similar problem. I took the back off. Unplugged the battery and then plugged it back in and it's been fine ever since so worth a try.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Yup happened last month. I left it for 24 hours and switched it on again and it powered up after re charge.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Mine did as well, changed the charger and works fine now.

Itman-dan

Jul 19, 2011
You need to do what Apple call a SMC reset. We have found these need to be done alot more frequently with newer thinner macbooks and imacs. Hope this info below helps:

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove
Note: Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.

Shut down the computer.
Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
Remove the battery.
Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
Release the power button.
Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).

Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Another trick Apple have told us is hold down this combination while attempting to boot the mac Alt+cmd+P+R. Good luck

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
You need to do what Apple call a SMC reset. We have found these need to be done alot more frequently with newer thinner macbooks and imacs. Hope this info below helps:

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove
Note: Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.

Shut down the computer.
Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
Remove the battery.
Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
Release the power button.
Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).

Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Another trick Apple have told us is hold down this combination while attempting to boot the mac Alt+cmd+P+R. Good luck
Thanks, but getting nothing. Just the faintest of a flickering green light when connecting the power source. It was fully charged when it died. Very puzzling.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I thought this was a thread about us having signed someone currently playing for Partick Thistle. :nono:

Good luck with the IT problem.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Wasn't really focused on what I was doing & went to connect a lead into the USB port, but it was the wrong end of the lead.
My MacBook just died at that moment. Now it won't take a charge when I connect the power lead, just nothing! Tried holding the power button for a while, zilch.
Have I killed it?
Luckily I can get to the store where I bought it, maybe next week. Just wondered if any NSC I-heads had a clue what may have happened & can I do any self help?

The EXACT same thing happened to me, it was probably the power it tried to send to the USB that finished off your battery power. I hadn't noticed but my power brick had packed up so I was running off battery power and it just simply ran out. Took it to the Mac store in a panic and they ran their diagnostics on it and found nothing wrong with the battery so I simply used a new power brick and problem solved.

I've gone through the power bricks like nobodies business and found the Mac ones are equally as crap as the cheap ones off ebay. The only difference is the price.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Have I killed it?

My power lead / transformer lead stopped working not so long about on my MacBookPro. A replacement was about £40. If you know anyone with a MacBook perhaps take it round to try out their lead before trying a new one, or pop in the AppleStore. My hunch would be that.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
My power lead / transformer lead stopped working not so long about on my MacBookPro. A replacement was about £40. If you know anyone with a MacBook perhaps take it round to try out their lead before trying a new one, or pop in the AppleStore. My hunch would be that.

Just off to the store where I bought it to see what they have to say as a friends power lead didn't work.
Still, South Beach Miami; nice afternoon off the ship!
Thanks for all the advice.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Let us know what the prognosis is? :thumbsup: And good luck

Wasted journey; they don't look at it without an appointment, (yes I should have known). The soonest date that suits me is August 4th! Have NSC on the work pc but I listen to a lot of different podcasts which I download on my laptop to keep up to speed with what's going on in the football world when I'm over here. The company IT found me out & blocked me from doing so, tw*ts.
Apple store didn't even venture an opinion of what it could be, just said, "you'll need an appointment with a Mac technician".
So, 10 days until I hopefully get it sorted.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Wasted journey; they don't look at it without an appointment, (yes I should have known). The soonest date that suits me is August 4th! Have NSC on the work pc but I listen to a lot of different podcasts which I download on my laptop to keep up to speed with what's going on in the football world when I'm over here. The company IT found me out & blocked me from doing so, tw*ts.
Apple store didn't even venture an opinion of what it could be, just said, "you'll need an appointment with a Mac technician".
So, 10 days until I hopefully get it sorted.

That'll be an appointment with an Apple 'genius'....been there

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That'll be an appointment with an Apple 'genius'....been there

DrEvilQuote.jpg

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I went to an appointment, and they told me my power cable was the problem, which it was. So I handed over 50 big ones for a new cable and voila. Exactly a year after first buying it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Wasted journey; they don't look at it without an appointment, (yes I should have known). The soonest date that suits me is August 4th!

sorry, is this the famous fantastic aftersales service from Apple? a 10 day wait?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here