Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IF we had qualified for the Europa League...

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
...through last seasons FA Cup. Would our fans have wanted us to play full strength sides in every competition?

Just popped into my head as we weren't a million miles away from getting to the FA Cup final(Sunderland reserves/Sheffield United semi final).

It would have buggered up our fixture list i.e plenty of games on the Sabbath :angel:

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I would love to go on a European tour with Brighton, nothing sounds better than people trying to stab you in cities and towns with a worrying lack of vowels in Eastern Europe!

But seriously, it would be cool. But I would hope we didn't play full strength as we'd be knackered. I think Wigan and Birmingham would have done a lot better without it.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Personally, yes.

Whilst I understand the financial implications of making it to the PL (or not), I would rather we went hell for leather for any available trophy regardless of how it impacts our league form (or our chances of actually winning).

It's the 'prioritise the league, forget the cup(s)' mentality that has left clubs fighting over 4th place in the PL instead of paying attention to winnable trophies and, in all honesty, I hate it. You can't put a league position in a trophy cabinet after all.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
If we'd been promoted we could be fighting for a Champions League spot this year.

So close... so close. ???

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Every draw is worth about £70,000 and every win about £140,000 so there's some rewards to putting in a performance - also about £1M just for qualifying (as the cup winners go direct to the group stages). There's actually not a huge amount of direct cash for going to the knockout stages though.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
If we'd been promoted we could be fighting for a Champions League spot this year.

So close... so close. ???

Hull, Sunderland reserves, Sheffield United.

Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton etc over the course of 38 games.

I see your point :rolleyes:

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Would be great to watch us in Europe. I'd like to think if we'd bothered going to watch we'd have a full strength team as possible out.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I would love to go on a European tour with Brighton, nothing sounds better than people trying to stab you in cities and towns with a worrying lack of vowels in Eastern Europe!

But seriously, it would be cool. But I would hope we didn't play full strength as we'd be knackered. I think Wigan and Birmingham would have done a lot better without it.

Birmingham did well to reach the play offs with Hughton in charge. Loud mouth Whelan made the mistake of employing Coyle. Had they brought in Rosler at that stage....well, who knows?

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Birmingham did well to reach the play offs with Hughton in charge. Loud mouth Whelan made the mistake of employing Coyle. Had they brought in Rosler at that stage....well, who knows?

I reckon Birmingham would've have gone up automatically that year if it wasn't for Europe. Same I think with Wigan if Rösler was appointed earlier and they were not in Europe.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
We can try and get promotion every season. How often are Brighton and Hove Albion in a European-wide competition? For me it's clear what the priority should be.

Agreed. Being able to see us pit our wits against the likes of Ajax and Inter Milan would be great to see. Hopefully Sami will take at least one of the domestic cup competitions seriously this season, aside from a promotion(hopefully) push.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here