Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AMEX transport - are the club thinking about ditching the subsidy

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
This question was in the survey:

Would you change the way you travel to the stadium if the club stopped applying the travel levy and supporters had to pay for their travel on the buses, trains and park and ride?

???

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I wondered that too. I thought it was a condition the club had to meet. It looks like they are trying to manoeuvre away from the requirement.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Would like then to drop it personally...

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Seemed an odd question to have in there. Barely anybody bought a ticket to Falmer before which I thought was the problem which led to travel being included. Can't see any sense in changing it back.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Living in Hastings the subsidy doesn't make an awful lot of difference. Be much better if Southern would lay on a better service back to Hastings on a midweek match.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Good call.
The 13th question on that survey -- quoted in the original post -- had a very limited range of options. If the club are attempting to engineer a withdrawal of subsidy, this effectively amounts to a 20% increase in season ticket price, and will make transportation more difficult as it will discourage fans from using the (previously subsidised) bus and train services.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
It probably wouldn't change my travel habits that much, though I'd think about getting a parking season ticket. During the first season, I ended up paying over the odds anyway, as I kept leaving that ticket wallet at home and having to buy rail tickets from Lewes. Mind you, it would probably make me even more reluctant to go to evening games. I often have to rush to Lewes and catch a 28 or 29 to get to the Amex, and then get the train on the way back. The bus is an absolute nightmare, for which I would be very reluctant to pay £4.40. If I still catch the bus to the stadium, how would I then get a rail ticket for the return journey when one has to queue on the ramp to get into the station? I can't see Southern Railway being happy if people travel by another means on the way and then get a free ride back to Brighton or Lewes.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Good call.
The 13th question on that survey -- quoted in the original post -- had a very limited range of options. If the club are attempting to engineer a withdrawal of subsidy, this effectively amounts to a 20% increase in season ticket price, and will make transportation more difficult as it will discourage fans from using the (previously subsidised) bus and train services.

Not if you live east of Lewes on the line towards Eastbourne and Hastings it doesn't. If the subsidy were to be scrapped, those along that route would actually be financially better off, abet only by about one pound or so a game.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Nothing would change for me, and with the travel levy off season ticket prices, I would actually get it cheaper.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Can you use the key like an oyster card, i.e it deducts a single fare from your credit rather than having to pre-load tickets?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Can you use the key like an oyster card, i.e it deducts a single fare from your credit rather than having to pre-load tickets?

Yes you can eventually but not yet, it would be a very amazing u-turn by the club if they abolished compulsory travel given the forthright mail I got from a Director when I argued the toss when it became compulsory.

Still it would be welcome progress by the club if they do.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes you can eventually but not yet, it would be a very amazing u-turn by the club if they abolished compulsory travel given the forthright mail I got from a Director when I argued the toss when it became compulsory.

I added a modification to the board such that if the transport fee is abolished, you are automatically banned from the site for life.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
You're kidding yourself if you think that by removing the travel levy, they'd reduce the prices to reflect it

That's what I thought when I typed it, but one can hope anyway.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I added a modification to the board such that if the transport fee is abolished, you are automatically banned from the site for life.

Gosh, I feel so cool to be honoured

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Does your company do them?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
A proper stadium, with proper transport.

Dodger-Stadium-in-Chavez-Ravine-by-The-City-Project.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here