Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Think twice before eating chicken?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ret-uk-poultry-industry-chicken-campylobacter

very interesting read. Doesn't really come as a surprise due to the aggressive capitalism which is prevalent in the food and supermarket industry, but playing with peoples lives, and getting worse is something which everyone should be aware. Very concerned that there is a suggestion that the Government have issued concern about the communication and been implicit in the quashing of full details of the report in terms of naming companies affected.

Time to eat more beef and risk CJD?

D

Deleted member 22389

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ret-uk-poultry-industry-chicken-campylobacter

very interesting read. Doesn't really come as a surprise due to the aggressive capitalism which is prevalent in the food and supermarket industry, but playing with peoples lives, and getting worse is something which everyone should be aware. Very concerned that there is a suggestion that the Government have issued concern about the communication and been implicit in the quashing of full details of the report in terms of naming companies affected.

I don't eat as much Meat these days for these reasons. You wonder the sort of rubbish that is contained in the food people buy from these places.
Supermarkets can be regulated, these cheap takeaways that have cropped up over the last few years cannot.

There should be rules not only to the quality of the food, the source, but to how it is prepared and how it is presented.
Too many jack of all trades opening up take aways. Chicken and Chips for £1.99 you really have to ask the questions.

Government bangs on about obesity, and these places don't help the problem.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I've had campylobacter and its not nice. Apart from the obvious vomiting & diarrhoea symptoms, I was surprised to learn that you had to avoid dairy products otherwise it started again. No-one told me and after a couple of days in bed, I had a yoghurt and a couple of hours later off I went again. It took about a week of avoiding dairy products to flush it completely out. Environmental Health got involved and it was tracked down to a bar in Croydon of all places.

Bit surprised to read in the article though that washing chicken is not recommended as it can spread the problem elsewhere. Not that I've ever thought about washing chicken prior to use but I bet plenty of people do.

D

Deleted member 22389

Given up eating chicken.

My wife is a veggie. Over the last few years I have moved over to this a bit more. Feel better for it too. You just never know what your eating.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My wife is a veggie. Over the last few years I have moved over to this a bit more. Feel better for it too. You just never know what your eating.

I lived with my veggie girlfriend for a while, which pretty much made me a vegetarian. If you can cook well, you can make some great meals and since then I rarely eat meat. I enjoy it occasionaly but the price and the unknown rearing and processing practices has put a lot of people off I reckon. I also rarely do late night chip shop visits anymore as I don't go out on the lash half as much in my 30's as I did in 20's so cheap chicken or kebabs have been off my menu for years.

If I buy meat, it's a nice cut from the local butcher who is English and knows how to prepare meat that is fit for consumption as oppose to some Iranian in Best Fried Chicken whose idea of hygiene is wiping his hands on his ballsack after taking a dump.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I've been to Faccenda's head office and "killing factory". It certainly changed my eating habits. The thing is, it's very hard to avoid this kind of chicken. Even if you order chicken in a fancy restaurant it's probably from a very dodgy source.

Since my visit I only eat organic, free range chicken that I have bought and cooked. That means no chicken dhansak from take aways no M&S chicken sandwiches and no Ceasar salads from restaurants unless it specifically states the source. As for KFC...

D

Deleted member 22389

I lived with my veggie girlfriend for a while, which pretty much made me a vegetarian. If you can cook well, you can make some great meals and since then I rarely eat meat. I enjoy it occasionaly but the price and the unknown rearing and processing practices has put a lot of people off I reckon. I also rarely do late night chip shop visits anymore as I don't go out on the lash half as much in my 30's as I did in 20's so cheap chicken or kebabs have been off my menu for years.

If I buy meat, it's a nice cut from the local butcher who is English and knows how to prepare meat that is fit for consumption as oppose to some Iranian in Best Fried Chicken whose idea of hygiene is wiping his hands on his ballsack after taking a dump.

We know the score on these other places you talk about. Out towns are full of them now. I'm surprised they are still in business with the crap that they serve. If people got more educted about their food they wouldn't be so popular.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
I honestly can't fathom why people would ever want to buy cheap industrially produced/fast food grade meat unless it was to feed their dogs. Surely there's enough information out there for people to work out that the corporations that supply this garbage don't give a flying about the quality of their products or the harm it can do - as consumers we should really exert the only influence we have and that is choice.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Buy organic.

And if the extra expense is a problem, just eat less of it.

Problem solved.

As this is an issue with abbatoirs that wouldn't solve the problem though would it? Unless you bought a specific organic that had it's own abbatoir attached

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
As this is an issue with abbatoirs that wouldn't solve the problem though would it? Unless you bought a specific organic that had it's own abbatoir attached

Fair enough, but abattoirs that slaughter organically reared livestock are supposed to be independently certified by the Soil Association.

Granted, such certification systems are open to abuse, and almost certainly are widely abused.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I have to say that gone is the day of enjoying my doner kebab at the end of a night out. Humus and olives does down well these days and I don't have to spend any time questioning it.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Bought a dangerously rancid chicken in Tesco Burgess Hill three weeks ago. We wrapped the disgusting object in foil, disinfected the fridge, took it back and bought a ready meal from M&S for supper. We have just received a £5 token from Tesco's Dundee customer service department. I'm not concerned about the money but feel I should push for more. Any advice appreciated.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Try using a butcher, one who knows where all his or her meat comes from. We're spoilt around here with 5 butchers in close proximity. One in particular sources all it's meat from Sussex, most from around our locale (Pulborough) and quite a bit from the Goodwood area. All the chicken is free range, the lamb is mostly organic, and all the pork and beef is outdoor reared. I feel I can trust this to be as safe as it's possible to get. There are butchers in most places still, worth checking them out and seeing what sort of produce they sell. That's not to say they are all great, I went into one in Broadwater a few years ago and asked if the meat was free range, outdoor reared or organic and he told me no, because no-one is interested in that sort of thing.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I would equally blame people who want to buy food ss cheeply as possible and don't care how it's produced. Does anyone seriously think buying a whole chicken is going to be properly bred.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here