Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is our League 1 winning side BETTER than our current side?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Ankergren = Ankergen
Greer = Greer
El-Abd < Hughes
Calderon < Bruno
Painter = Chicksen
Bennett > Buckley
Noone > Lua Lua
Dicker < Crofts
Bridcutt > Toko
Barnes > COG / JFC
Murray > CMS

I make that 5 V 3.

5 new signings are needed.......

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
That is just starting 11.

I would say they are about the same, however we had a goals in Murray and Barnes.

Greer has a couple of years what he did back then.

and Murray, Barnes, Bridcutt, Noone and Bennett have all played / will have played in the premier league since then.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No it's not better.

keepers L1 < keepers now
defence L1 < defence now
midfield L1 < midfield now
strikers L1 > strikers now

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Would fancy our side now to beat that side. Buckley could potentially tear Painter a new one.

Both sides would be let down with a GK howler.

Close games but over a season our current side would be a few places above the L1 side IMO

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ankergren = Ankergen
Greer = Greer
El-Abd < Hughes
Calderon < Bruno
Painter = Chicksen
Bennett > Buckley
Noone > Lua Lua
Dicker < Crofts
Bridcutt > Toko
Barnes > COG / JFC
Murray > CMS

I make that 5 V 3.

5 new signings are needed.......

On what evidence are you basing the verdict that Toko is inferior to (a 21 year old) Bridcutt, or that 16 goal Championship striker O'Grady is inferior to 20 goal League One striker Ashley Barnes?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
On what evidence are you basing the verdict that Toko is inferior to (a 21 year old) Bridcutt, or that 16 goal Championship striker O'Grady is inferior to 20 goal League One striker Ashley Barnes?

It is my opinion.

Barnes sold for a higher fee with 6 months on his contract remaining. Barnes wasn't really used as a striker, and had a return of 81 games, 31 goals in the league. Far better than COG career striker rate. Barnes is also a few years younger.

If Toko was as good as Bridcutt he would have been wanted by a top tier side.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

Bridcutt, Noone and Barnes weren't wanted by top tier sides back then either.

If you're judging the league 1 side from how good they've turned out be then fair enough, but it puts players such as Toko at a bit of a disadvantage. If he's not as good as Bridcutt is now (which we don't actually know), I'm willing to bet he's better than Bridcutt was back then...so which way are you looking at it?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bridcutt, Noone and Barnes weren't wanted by top tier sides back then either.

If you're judging the league 1 side from how good they've turned out be then fair enough, but it puts players such as Toko at a bit of a disadvantage. If he's not as good as Bridcutt is now (which we don't actually know), I'm willing to bet he's better than Bridcutt was back then...so which way are you looking at it?

Exactly.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
It is my opinion.

Barnes sold for a higher fee with 6 months on his contract remaining. Barnes wasn't really used as a striker, and had a return of 81 games, 31 goals in the league. Far better than COG career striker rate. Barnes is also a few years younger.

What a ridiculous statement. Bridcutt wasn't wanted by a top tier side when he was in League 1. In fact he wasn't wanted by anybody before Gus transformed into a proper player. The same thing could happen to Toko. Have you seen him play yet???

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
What a ridiculous statement. Bridcutt wasn't wanted by a top tier side when he was in League 1. In fact he wasn't wanted by anybody before Gus transformed into a proper player. The same thing could happen to Toko. Have you seen him play yet???

Bridcutt was 2.5 years younger when we brought him in compared to Toko.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If Barnes is better than COG, then why did Barnes only score 8 goals in 43 championship games last year (for 2 top 6 sides), compared to COG scoring 15 in 40 for a relegated team?

I rate KLL higher than Noone as well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here