Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Selling stuff - where?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Ebay - Their fees, combined with Paypal charges, are so high now. Plus RM postage charges are also now sky high.
Gumtree - People never seem to look on it.
Friday-ad - ditto, can't remember last time I sold something that was advertised on there.

I love a car boot as a buyer but as I don't drive it's difficult to go as a seller.

Always suprised in today's age of austerity that it is hard to sell secondhand items that are in very good condition and very good value for money.

Where do you sell your unwanted stuff or do you just give it to a charity shop?

Recycle, reuse, reduce :thumbsup:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Facebook selling pages, Mrs Surrey Jim has purchased/sold loads on there (mainly baby clothes & baby stuff)

ebay - their fees, combined with paypal charges, are so high now. Plus rm postage charges are also now sky high.
Gumtree - people never seem to look on it.
Friday-ad - ditto, can't remember last time i sold something that was advertised on there.

I love a car boot as a buyer but as i don't drive it's difficult to go as a seller.

Always suprised in today's age of austerity that it is hard to sell secondhand items that are in very good condition and very good value for money.

car boot,share pitch with a mate?(who has a car or van)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I had 50+ DVD's and thought I might be able to get something for them so tried MAGPIE
after putting the barcode no's in the first two and seeing the magnificent price paid 37p
gave up and I am now giving them to Cats protection to sell in there shop
recycle and they get a few bob
job done

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Facebook
Gumtree
Friday-ad

Used all the above in the past with no problems.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Facebook selling pages, Mrs Surrey Jim has purchased/sold loads on there (mainly baby clothes & baby stuff)

One of my favourite games when bored is sending ridiculous enquiry messages to the, lets say dimmer, sellers on those pages. Incredibly childish but some of the responses are golden.

For example:

Me: re the rocking basket which way does it rock??
side to side or back and forth?
v v important as my boy has a very rhythmic sleeping pattern and CAN NOT afford to compromise
thanks hope u understand x

Reply: not sure what u mean its just an ordnary rocking basket. £20 ONO can you pick up?

I need to get a life I know. Personal favourite was a lengthly discourse with a fine gentlemen selling a car, the stumbling block was whether or not the parcel shelf was detachable.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
One of my favourite games when bored is sending ridiculous enquiry messages to the, lets say dimmer, sellers on those pages. Incredibly childish but some of the responses are golden.

For example:

v v important as my boy has a very rhythmic sleeping pattern and CAN NOT afford to compromise

Reply: not sure what u mean its just an ordnary rocking basket. £20 ONO can you pick up?

I need to get a life I know. Personal favourite was a lengthly discourse with a fine gentlemen selling a car, the stumbling block was whether or not the parcel shelf was detachable.

Jesus, your life must be really interesting!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Agree eBay now a bit of a joke and RM even worse.
Example: sold a set-top box for 99p and because it weighed more than 1kg RM only option was ParcelFarce £13 odd = buyer and I agreed to cancel the sale. Have since found that Hermes offer an alternative for the larger / heavier items.

I've found http://www.preloved.co.uk/ quite successful for selling ...

Apr 12, 2011
Never had a problem with Gumtree. Sold various things on there from phones to cars and always had responses within 10-15 mins.

I think the key is the detail in the ads, including decent pictures, immediately inspires confidence.

Doesn't have to cost either unless you want to boost it.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Ebay - Their fees, combined with Paypal charges, are so high now. Plus RM postage charges are also now sky high.
Gumtree - People never seem to look on it.
Friday-ad - ditto, can't remember last time I sold something that was advertised on there.

I love a car boot as a buyer but as I don't drive it's difficult to go as a seller.

Leicester? - Get Uncle Tony to negotiate on your behalf!
???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Wow, that's a poor effort. Try reading 'the internet is a playground' for inspiration.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
I always use EBay,especially when they have no fee weekends,Friday ad is never used,eg; I had 60 pieces of tongue and groove loft flooring and put it on Friday ad as free to collecter,after 3 weeks it was still there so decided to put it on eBay with a 99p start price,I eventually sold it for £145,the guy paid cash when he picked it up.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Gumtree seems ok if you want a car. Never use the Friday Ad these days.

But it depends on what you want to get rid of and if you want cash for it. I have gone to the Hove Tip before to give their shop the option to take something, but if they don't want it you can chuck it in the rubbish pit..

Failing that if you have had a sort out and you have lots of stuff, just do a garage sale and put a table out on the street or front garden.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here