Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hyypia starting to get frustrated

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Read that this morning and had the same thoughts. Basically he is just 'hopeful' of some signings soon but no real timescales.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Reading the Argus this morning, it seems like Hyypia is already starting to get disillusioned with the clubs recruitment policy.
Gawd... here we go, I hope this isn't the case, 300 mile round trips to watch dross like last year again is going to take some motivation I reckon.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think any one of the leagues 90 plus managers would be frustrated at the lack of replacements so far if they were Albion's manager? A quick check before he signed though would have shown him that we don't do early signings or many of them in the summer. Shouldn't be a surprise to Hyypia.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Reading the Argus this morning, it seems like Hyypia is already starting to get disillusioned with the clubs recruitment policy.

What's the connection between spin, rumour, gossip, chinese whispers and old housewives tales?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Do you blame him? How the hell is a manager supposed to prepare for the season ahead with only half a squad of players? Yet another manager that's fallen victim to the bulls**t they call ambition.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I liked his comment about the forward play.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Personally i think Uncle Tony's strategy of playing 'hardball' over the whole transfer window is counter productive. Perhaps it would be beneficial to have a slightly weaker player familiar with the system & team as opposed to a player of better quality signed 3 games into the season taking until October to start performing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think any one of the leagues 90 plus managers would be frustrated at the lack of replacements so far if they were Albion's manager? A quick check before he signed though would have shown him that we don't do early signings or many of them in the summer. Shouldn't be a surprise to Hyypia.

This.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Apparently we don't like doing deals in January either.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
The start of the season matters as much as any other games. We should have a full and fully prepared squad. As an example, if we had won (rather than lost) the first game against Hull 2 years ago, we might might have gone up automatically!

I fear that any chance of a really strong season (rather than clinging onto a hope of a late play-off place) will be gone by Christmas. At the moment we will be at best mid-table. Even if we sign the (minimum) three good players we need, they will take time to bed in and will have missed our pre-season.

If late signings are a strategy -it's a poor strategy!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Now the Argus has finally heard of mobile friendly content I'm glad the OP posted the mobile link. It looks better on the p.c. than their normal site and doesn't have the annoying talking advert kicking in that announces to the world that you're reading a third rate local paper.

Naylor seems to have an agenda against the club. Our status as far as the squad goes is really no different to how it was on Tuesday except we've had the frustration of a draw against the local aggro merchants with all three of our new signings missing it due to injury or illness. If I was Hyppia it would be that which was frustrating me. All the article does is put a negative slant on those comments from Sami and stick them, on the mobile enabled version, next to comments from the usual Argus drongos.

We were always going to have to conclude the Ulloa saga before we finalised our budget and that relied on Leicester coming back with the right offer. I would hope and expect that we would reinvest at least 5 million of that in the three key areas we need to strengthen and then we will have a pretty decent squad AND have paid off £3M worth of debt / FFP obligations. If we fill those spots, instead, with average journeymen or, worse, not at all, THEN I'll join the ranks of the worried. However it remains my opinion that we will strengthen adequately.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Sounds like a manager sending a message to the club which it'll be only too aware of. Still 2 weeks to go so still time to being in a few but otherwise we'll kick off with a considerably weaker squad than last season which is depressing but maybe best to reserve judgement until the end of the transfer window.

We all know we need 5 or 6 new players. After the clear out of some big name players and sale of Ulloa, there should be a couple of "big" signings as a statement of intent. I'd also like to see a "wise" old head who's been there & done it - a Kevin Phillips, Gary MacAllister ( remember him at Cov - could barely move but just sat and ran the game) type figure. And we badly need a bit of guile to pick a pass and take a set piece.

At the moment it's difficult to see where the goals are going to come from and how we're going to keep them out...a lot to do.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The start of the season matters as much as any other games. We should have a full and fully prepared squad. As an example, if we had won (rather than lost) the first game against Hull 2 years ago, we might might have gone up automatically!

I fear that any chance of a really strong season (rather than clinging onto a hope of a late play-off place) will be gone by Christmas. At the moment we will be at best mid-table. Even if we sign the (minimum) three good players we need, they will take time to bed in and will have missed our pre-season.

If late signings are a strategy -it's a poor strategy!
Bedwetter

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I never read into these things but can sense frustrations there . Still towing the party line though .

Wonder if he knows what's going on

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I agree that it helps to hit the ground running but the first month or so doesn't normally define the season. Take the first season at the Amex. All the new signings in place, full of confidence, bit of luck, 16 points from the first 6 games. Did we storm the division. No, we came 10th.
We will be getting new faces in and some of them will have had a pre-season at other clubs. Tenth, fourth and sixth in the last three years is solid form and despite many personnel changes, we still finished in the top half. It demonstrates that the club has a solid foundation and that will continue. Despite some of the doom and gloom on here, I am confident we will be top half again and likely play-off contenders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here