Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How would you bring safe standing to Falmer?

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
Turns out is more complicated than it sounds.

1. Cost - Obvious one. How much for the back ten rows of the north stand? The SWC? Full north stand?

2. Sitters - Th people who would want to move their seats if theirs became safe standing. Complicated but club should work that out pretty well.

3. Does the premier league allow it - Villa have a trial so.... I assume so.

4. Does UEFA allow it? You never know.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/safe-standing-mythbuster

Do a survey of north stand.

How many people want safe standing.

Say its 50/50.

The put rail seats at the back of the north stand to half way through and put the sitters at the bottom of the north stand.

And the cost wise well we could do fundraisers and have the club match supporters money?

Hey I can dream right?

Move the people who want to move from the north stand to a corner?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I think the amount of people standing at away games varies a lot. 100% of us were stood at Forest because of having to go to their allocated space, where as I'd say only 30% stood at Bolton. It varies so much.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Get relegated to the Conference (South), then 370 standers won't bother anybody.

Otherwise, no.

No.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Why do we insist on flogging this dead horse?

It will not happen at the Amex for a very long time. The club/Barber have made it repeatedly clear:

1. We cannot increase capacity without significant further investment because we would not meet all the H&S requirements for toilets/exits/transport/etc. So this is not about just swapping seats for barriers. It would be a massive structural change to the stadium.

2. The seats that have been put in are new and "state-of-the-art" in terms of comfort. I'm sure each one cost a small fortune and the club are not going to just rip them out and throw them away (and they can't be moved elsewhere - see point 1 regarding capacity)

3. If you just replace seats for standing spaces on a 1-to-1 basis (1) and somehow re-coup or write off the costs (2), then the club cannot charge the same ticket price for standing as seating and so will lose revenue - it's not like we have large empty sections and standing would be an incremental increase in attendance. This is just less money from the same people.

Personally, I am an advocate of standing. I started my football supporting life stood up. When I finally end it I would like to be stood up. However, even if the rules change, it just will not happen at our club until we are due for a significant re-fit anyway - probably 20+ years away!

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If they did, which they won't, it wouldn't be the back tens rows' I'd guess?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Why do we insist on flogging this dead horse?

It will not happen at the Amex for a very long time. The club/Barber have made it repeatedly clear:

1. We cannot increase capacity without significant further investment because we would not meet all the H&S requirements for toilets/exits/transport/etc. So this is not about just swapping seats for barriers. It would be a massive structural change to the stadium.
- Just keep the same capacity and there's no need to change anything, just put the rails in
2. The seats that have been put in are new and "state-of-the-art" in terms of comfort. I'm sure each one cost a small fortune and the club are not going to just rip them out and throw them away (and they can't be moved elsewhere - see point 1 regarding capacity)
This the sticking point and will alwys be the stickinoint - cost
3. If you just replace seats for standing spaces on a 1-to-1 basis (1) and somehow re-coup or write off the costs (2), then the club cannot charge the same ticket price for standing as seating and so will lose revenue - it's not like we have large empty sections and standing would be an incremental increase in attendance. This is just less money from the same people.
Yes they can charge the same price. They can charge whatever they like

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You haven't been paying attention to the current Hillsborough inquest have you?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
IMO safe standing will definitely happen in the near future but I reckon the Albion will be one of the last clubs to bring it in.

The costs involved will be high in terms of infrastructure changes and there will be very strict health and safety regulations to be met. It could end up being very costly to clubs and fans will expect/demand cheaper tickets.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
It will not happen (unfortunately!)

Wheels would only be put in motion IF the club had an issue with the current capacity - which is unlikely given that we didn't totally sell out home playoff semi finals.

However, assuming we got to the Premier League and did ok, and things moved towards safe standing being permitted more generally, I'd suggest back half of the North Stand would be a good place to start.

You haven't been paying attention to the current Hillsborough inquest have you?

Surely the difference was policing and crowd safety, if the problem was terracing itself why weren't there more large scale disasters throughout the 130 years of standing in common use?

The culture of football has changed SO much since 1989.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
Easy solution, reduce the season ticket price, whack a great big screen up in Stanmer park and let the fans that want to stand watch the game there, then i get to sit on my comfy deluxe seat at the Amex without some drunk loud mouth neanderthal blocking the view of the game.

Everyone's a winner! punk:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here