Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charity Collections in the workplace

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I'm not uncharitable, I'm really not.

However, the new trend at work is that everyone is pinning up and waving sponsor forms under everyones noses all the time. Everyone is doing a midnight walk, sponsored cycle, sponsored walk for this that and the other all the time. Everyone's got a 'just giving' page also. There seems to be lots of peer pressure and awkwardness if you don't sponsor. I've become a bit resentful about it, and if i'm not walking around with a purse full of fivers, then you get politely 'chased' to cough up every time you sit down for a sarnie.

I'm sure there used to be a time when people were sponsored to do challenging things, not just for walking around the park wearing a certain colour. Flippant I know :facepalm:

When I give to charity, I like to know exactly what the money is going towards and do my research. (So I know it's a registered charity, where all the money isn't squandered on paying the 'volunteers' expenses and admin costs. Moreover, It's going to the right people, to do the right thing with it, and actually make a difference)

Sorry if you get offended by this, but just wondering if anyone else encounters this in their workplace?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I get it a bit but as I mostly work from home I avoid a lot. I always say, truthfully, "Sorry, all my charity giving goes either to Shelter or St Wilfred's Hospice".
People seem to accept that more than just saying no.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Spot on. Some people don't have the nerve to say it, but it is getting ridiculous. I got called all sorts at work at my last job because I said no to people coming round with the buckets, and ignored the various raffles/cake days/dress up days. Dress down day's are all good, and I'm happy to give £1 a month to be comfy (especially in this heat), but that's as far as I'm prepared to go.

I like to choose who I give my money and time to, and for the charities I do support I happily put my hand in my pocket.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I usually sponsor someone if they ask me in person, if they just email everyone they get f*ck all from me.

Sorry if you get offended by this, but just wondering if anyone else encounters this in their workplace?

Not at all.

We had a guy in our company who was forever doing sponsored walks/bike rides/swims or whatever. Our company is quite small, probably 35 people Full time and 50 when busy, this was happening at least once a month and walking around asking to be sponsored.

In the end we had to tell him straight out, twice a year max.

You cannot ask the same people the same thing over and over again.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
ot slightly but what gets my goat is everytime I seem to go to Morrisons or Sainsburys there's a charity badgering you in the entrance foyer.

Excuse me but I just want to buy my beer and fags and get out.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
The Amex week in week out is just as bad!

Last week at Sainsburys there was a local under 11 footie team collecting for new kits.

Since when has that become a charity?

Won't name them because it would be unfair but suffice to say, I'd expect that had the parents organised a united garage sale they could have bought floodlights as well.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
If people were doing slightly more risky things like sky diving whilst eating baked beans, blindfolded, and hands tied behind their back....then it would be more of a feat and worth a sponsor.

Sponsoring a guy who ordinarily likes a bike ride to do a bike ride...less so.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I think if I was in a large organisation, I would try to gauge how much to give, on the basis of how often I get asked, and how often I would ask others to sponsor me. If it was all give, give, give, and never some coming back to me, I'd limit my giving. If it was an even distribution, I'd be a bit happier :)

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
The one that hacks me off more than most is Movember.

Fu** me! sorry? You want money for doing less than you do normally. Get to f**k.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i give generously, 30% every month. and i dont mean that uncharitably, there is a stonking wedge of tax payer funding goes into charities, £12Bn?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here