Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will You Wrap Your Kids Up In Cotton Wool During The School Holidays?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My kids are allowed out exactly as i was 40 years ago. There are not more muggers/pedophiles/drug dealers/gangs/loonies/etc around now than there was 40 years ago. There were dodgy people/areas/clubs then and there are now. FACT

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
My kids are allowed out exactly as i was 40 years ago. There are not more muggers/pedophiles/drug dealers/gangs/loonies/etc around now than there was 40 years ago. There were dodgy people/areas/clubs then and there are now. FACT
Spot bloody on! Well said.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Nothing has changed in forty years then :moo:
As a fourteen year old in 1970 I can remember nicking apples(scrumping) and on being caught having my face pummelled by a bloke.
I probably deserved it---now you would sue and be set up for life.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Nothing has changed in forty years then :moo:
As a fourteen year old in 1970 I can remember nicking apples(scrumping) and on being caught having my face pummelled by a bloke.
I probably deserved it---now you would sue and be set up for life.

I had similar experiences and my kids will probably have the same. Teach them what's what in life :thumbsup::lolol:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Not irresponsible at all. Kids need to learn how to look after themselves when they are out and about and they wont do that all the time Mum or Dad is telling them what to do.

My lad is bit older now (13) but will probably be spending the entire duration of the 6 weeks holiday at the skatepark - its about 15 mins walk away from home over one main road, but he is trusted to act sensibly and does. He has his own mobile phone and the rule is that he has to have that on him at all times so that we can contact each other if necessary.

He like his Xbox, but very much sees it as a winter pass time - in fact he gets really frustrated when his mates won't come out because they are all sat in darkened rooms glued to the TV all day, every day.

No need for a phone,let them go out and ''play''

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Exactly. My kids are turfed out in the morning, come back for lunch, go out in the afternoon until tea, go out again till bedtime - they're 11 and 8 (but that's what they did last summer too). The younger one is only allowed in three specific places but the older can now go off on her bike around the estate. How are they going to learn any independence if they're not allowed out?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

I agree. My five year old is allowed out with his nine year old next door neighbour as long as they promise to look after each other.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Spot bloody on! Well said.

You are 100% right. Add to that drunk drivers, which was a national pastime.

I did an OU course on child abuse which was attended by police, social workers, health visitors and A&E staff some years back. They confirmed that paedos and other freaks were just as abundant then but there was more of a local awareness of who to avoid in your area. The police are far more proactive these days and members of the public are far more vigilant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here