Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will You Wrap Your Kids Up In Cotton Wool During The School Holidays?

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
The summer holidays are upon us, happy memories for me as a kid. We spent hours and hours playing out on our bikes, wandering the streets, in the park playing football and cricket till sundown. This all when we were at primary school and Jimmy and Rolf were on the prowl when they weren't TV.

Do you let your kids wander far and wide or are they only allowed to play in the garden? Would you rather they stayed in playing computer games so you know they were safe? Or are you happy like me to trust my Eight and Ten year old's to play In the park unsupervised on the condition that they stick together.

Am I being Irresponsible as a parent?

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The summer holidays are upon us, happy memories for me as a kid. We spent hours and hours playing out with our bikes, on the street, in the park playing football and cricket till sundown. This all when we were at primary school and Jimmy and Rolf were on the prowl when they weren't TV.

Do you let your kids wander far and wide or are they only allowed to play in the garden? Would you rather they stayed in playing computer games so you know they were safe? Or are you happy like me to trust my Eight and Ten year old's to play In the park unsupervised on the condition that they stick together.

Mine are welcome to wander, so long as they let us know where they are. The youngest is 13 though.

Mine are both boys, FWIW. I think I'd worry more if they were girls.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I wouldn't wrap them in cotton wool. They'll get too hot.

On a more serious note, i don't have any kids but I think as long as there is mutual understanding then they should be ok to do what they want - as long as they check in on you so you know they're ok, or are back by a certain time, or as you suggest they stick together.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The summer holidays are upon us, happy memories for me as a kid. We spent hours and hours playing out with our bikes, on the street, in the park playing football and cricket till sundown. This all when we were at primary school and Jimmy and Rolf were on the prowl when they weren't TV.

Only till sundown, were you a bit of a sissy? :p

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Not irresponsible at all. Kids need to learn how to look after themselves when they are out and about and they wont do that all the time Mum or Dad is telling them what to do.

My lad is bit older now (13) but will probably be spending the entire duration of the 6 weeks holiday at the skatepark - its about 15 mins walk away from home over one main road, but he is trusted to act sensibly and does. He has his own mobile phone and the rule is that he has to have that on him at all times so that we can contact each other if necessary.

He like his Xbox, but very much sees it as a winter pass time - in fact he gets really frustrated when his mates won't come out because they are all sat in darkened rooms glued to the TV all day, every day.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

As a 58 year old dad of a 14 year old young lady I can see where you are coming from. I worry as soon as 'meeting up with boys' is mentioned :eek:

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
It's that inbetween parenthood I hate. The ones that have kids who assume they are the be all and end all of the human race.

The ones that just let their munchkins run around like lunatics in supermarkets like its a bloody school playground.

Or the modern day "Mum" that has clearly chosen to have kids instead of doing any bloody work and expect the state to support them because the dad f****d off weeks after finding out he's gonna be a parent. Quality.

.......and the poor kids that have been given absolute c*nty names by their backward microwave generation parents.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
It's that inbetween parenthood I hate. The ones that have kids who assume they are the be all and end all of the human race.

The ones that just let their munchkins run around like lunatics in supermarkets like its a bloody school playground.

Or the modern day "Mum" that has clearly chosen to have kids instead of doing any bloody work and expect the state to support them because the dad f****d off weeks after finding out he's gonna be a parent. Quality.

.......and the poor kids that have been given absolute c*nty names by their backward microwave generation parents.

You are on the wrong thread

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Could of left it there really .

All parents think their kids are pretty / handsome / talented / clever Etc

News flash ; no their not

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
The summer holidays are upon us, happy memories for me as a kid. We spent hours and hours playing out on our bikes, wandering the streets, in the park playing football and cricket till sundown. This all when we were at primary school and Jimmy and Rolf were on the prowl when they weren't TV.

Would not let my kids do what I used to do. Having said that one of mine is camping in the woods tonight.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Oh yeah, so far we have planned (8 and 11 years old):

Sailing
Mackerel Fishing
Go Ape Day
Cycling South Downs (Not all of it)
Sea Kayaking South Wales
Coastering South Wales
Camping (Proper)
anything else that comes along

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
My daughters had over 24 hours in hospital after breaking her arm on the day before the holidays started. Kids are so impatient these days.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I don't have kids but If i did in the future then i would wrap them in cotton wool to an extent, maybe letting them go out somewhere for a few hours on their own as long as I knew exactly where they were until they leave primary school and realise that their parents aren't cool, so at that point they would be able to do what they want...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here