Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will You Wrap Your Kids Up In Cotton Wool During The School Holidays?

1 Not allowed!
    The summer holidays are upon us, happy memories for me as a kid. We spent hours and hours playing out on our bikes, wandering the streets, in the park playing football and cricket till sundown. This all when we were at primary school and Jimmy and Rolf were on the prowl when they weren't TV.

Do you let your kids wander far and wide or are they only allowed to play in the garden? Would you rather they stayed in playing computer games so you know they were safe? Or are you happy like me to trust my Eight and Ten year old's to play In the park unsupervised on the condition that they stick together.

Am I being Irresponsible as a parent?
    Last edited by red star portslade; 23-07-2014 at 16:37.
    Play up! Play up! and Play the Game!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by red star portslade View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The summer holidays are upon us, happy memories for me as a kid. We spent hours and hours playing out with our bikes, on the street, in the park playing football and cricket till sundown. This all when we were at primary school and Jimmy and Rolf were on the prowl when they weren't TV.

Do you let your kids wander far and wide or are they only allowed to play in the garden? Would you rather they stayed in playing computer games so you know they were safe? Or are you happy like me to trust my Eight and Ten year old's to play In the park unsupervised on the condition that they stick together.

Mine are welcome to wander, so long as they let us know where they are. The youngest is 13 though.

Mine are both boys, FWIW. I think I'd worry more if they were girls.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.
      Surrounded by <div>s Grombleton's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I wouldn't wrap them in cotton wool. They'll get too hot.

On a more serious note, i don't have any kids but I think as long as there is mutual understanding then they should be ok to do what they want - as long as they check in on you so you know they're ok, or are back by a certain time, or as you suggest they stick together.

0 Not allowed!
      The summer holidays are upon us, happy memories for me as a kid. We spent hours and hours playing out with our bikes, on the street, in the park playing football and cricket till sundown. This all when we were at primary school and Jimmy and Rolf were on the prowl when they weren't TV.

Only till sundown, were you a bit of a sissy?
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
      Are people taking stupidity pills on here today or something

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Notters View Post
      Only till sundown, were you a bit of a sissy?
      Yes. I was terrified of my Dad.
      Play up! Play up! and Play the Game!

0 Not allowed!
      Not irresponsible at all. Kids need to learn how to look after themselves when they are out and about and they wont do that all the time Mum or Dad is telling them what to do.

My lad is bit older now (13) but will probably be spending the entire duration of the 6 weeks holiday at the skatepark - its about 15 mins walk away from home over one main road, but he is trusted to act sensibly and does. He has his own mobile phone and the rule is that he has to have that on him at all times so that we can contact each other if necessary.

He like his Xbox, but very much sees it as a winter pass time - in fact he gets really frustrated when his mates won't come out because they are all sat in darkened rooms glued to the TV all day, every day.
      We'll see how smart you are when the canines come.
      Panic! At The Amex Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Better safe than sorry. Far better to keep an eye on your kids than not keep an eye on them. Ask Kate and Gerry McCann.
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

0 Not allowed!

As a 58 year old dad of a 14 year old young lady I can see where you are coming from. I worry as soon as 'meeting up with boys' is mentioned
      You know I'm right
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by SIMMO SAYS View Post
      As a 58 year old dad of a 14 year old young lady I can see where you are coming from. I worry as soon as 'meeting up with boys' is mentioned
      And you should!
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

3 Not allowed!
      It's that inbetween parenthood I hate. The ones that have kids who assume they are the be all and end all of the human race.

The ones that just let their munchkins run around like lunatics in supermarkets like its a bloody school playground.

Or the modern day "Mum" that has clearly chosen to have kids instead of doing any bloody work and expect the state to support them because the dad f****d off weeks after finding out he's gonna be a parent. Quality.

.......and the poor kids that have been given absolute c*nty names by their backward microwave generation parents.