Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question about house survey.....help needed!

cobbyseagull

Jul 31, 2008
We are currently selling our house and the perspective buyers have had a survey done and there are a few points raised which personally I have no idea about and wondering if anyone could offer any guidance...here goes........

The main point is about the chimney in property the report says "the rendered stack is cracked with some damaged/missing areas of render and localised repair is needed to stop any ongoing failure of the render coating. The stack appears largely redundant and as damp problems were founf internally any unused flues should be properly capped and ventilated"

Any thoughts or idea of cost etc from anyone?

Also mentions that sub-floor ventilation is inadequoate and should be improved? and also ventialtion in roof space needs doing?

and lastly "some spring was noted in corner of lounge, but no dampness was recorded to walls around the springy floor area, skirtings of the floor itself?

Scaremongering and ares covering or some serious issues??????

BlueWhite

Dec 28, 2003
We've just been through been through house buying/selling hell... Don't think there's anything to worry about there. Maybe agree to few hundred quid being knocked off, but not if you can help it. Don't know where you are, but I bet there's no house in Brighton that hasn't got some damp issues...

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Based on experience the ventilation and springy floors are standard arse covering statements.

Would think that the chimney will need sorting though. Without seeing the damage I would say you are looking at about about a grand, maybe £1500, as will probably need scaffold and a couple of days work, plus material.

cobbyseagull

Jul 31, 2008
We've just been through been through house buying/selling hell... Don't think there's anything to worry about there. Maybe agree to few hundred quid being knocked off, but not if you can help it. Don't know where you are, but I bet there's no house in Brighton that hasn't got some damp issues...

house is also around 100years old so not surprised soem thing shave come up, but think it is scaring current buyers at mo as there are a few other minor points, guttering at back, some hollow plaster etc and putting it all together think they probably think there is too much!

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
house is also around 100years old so not surprised soem thing shave come up, but think it is scaring current buyers at mo as there are a few other minor points, guttering at back, some hollow plaster etc and putting it all together think they probably think there is too much!

Pesky building surveys pointing out things that might materially damage the house they are buying! Guttering isn't really a minor point unfortunately in this country, but relatively inexpensive to fix.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You invite them to take any further advice they deem necessary. It's not your job to do that or make good any repairs (unless you really want to).

The ball is in their court.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
If you are still happy with the offer and they are 'good' buyers knock 2 grand off or agree to complete works yourself prior to completition.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
I got my chimney repointed (didn't need a lot mind) and a cover put on (the hail used to come straight down and into the lounge) for £190 earlier this year. Thats Yorkshire prices though. Wasn't a cowboy job either.

cobbyseagull

Jul 31, 2008
Pesky building surveys pointing out things that might materially damage the house they are buying! Guttering isn't really a minor point unfortunately in this country, but relatively inexpensive to fix.

hopefully it is only a minor point when it only needs cleaning out on flat roof extension, one bracket fixed for downpipe that broken and joint fixed back together.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Have you seen the whole report or just been told about these minor items? The report would state what the surveyor considers the market value of the property is, in its current state. They won't say its worth more than the value offered by your potential buyer but it should give you an idea if there is considered to be a shortfall.

I'm buying a house at the moment and had similar points about the pointing to the chimney and ventilation to the eaves. I've reviewed it myself and considered it not worth worrying about.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here