• England - Rugger

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
England in the World Cup - It started off with such promise but ended up with the same old story

England in cricket - The team appears to have gone back to the dark days of the 1990s

Andy Murray at Wimbledon - The JOCK went out with a whimper

Chris Froome in Le Tour - You're supposed to stay on your bike

England in Rugby Union - So close against New Zealand but still failed

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Has to be the Cricket.

The football was expected and the others have done well enough in the past not to be classed as failures.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Froome, he is an odd looking man with an odd demeanor.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
For me it's the cricket. To go from where we were last summer winning the Ashes quite comfortably, to losing 7 out of the last 9 tests (and only drawing the other 2) is a remarkable achievement.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We didn't actually play that badly in the WC so I wouldn't really class it a "fail" considering our expectations in a tough group. Our game against Uruguay was poor but our performances against Italy and Costa Rica were pretty much par for what we expected. But if we'd gotten to the Quarters it would still be classed as a "fail" on here no doubt.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Andy Murray was easily the biggest shock. Expectations to reality, it was FAR bigger fail than England at the WC.

We didn't actually play that badly in the WC so I wouldn't really class it a "fail" considering our expectations in a tough group. Our game against Uruguay was poor but our performances against Italy and Costa Rica were pretty much par for what we expected. But if we'd gotten to the Quarters it would still be classed as a "fail" on here no doubt.

1 draw
0 wins
1 point
Bottom of the group

Pretty much looks like a Fail to me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
1 draw
0 wins
1 point
Bottom of the group

Pretty much looks like a Fail to me.

That would be the overbasic way of looking at it. Let's break down the actual matches, shall we?

Italy - Played well, pretty much matched them and narrowly lost against a good side.
Uruguay - played poorly but were level til near the end, again a narrow loss with fine margins.
Costa Rica - Our b team played out a respectable draw against a form side who beat the 2 sides above and would've wanted to finish first (obviously).

Expectations - hopefully make it out of the group and see from there.

So...yeah. Not exactly an EPIC FAIL LOLZ etc or anything, was it? Just a slight disappointment of hoping we'd get further than we did. Certainly no expectations.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Coming home at the earliest opportunity and bottom of the group with a single point is a fail in my mind. And it was not a tough group. Neither of the teams which qualified from England's group did anything of note in the knock-out stage. If you do not consider this a fail then you're as much part of the problem as the English set-up is. You really do need to aim higher than bottom Mellotron.

Coming home at the earliest opportunity and bottom of the group with a single point is a fail in my mind. And it was not a tough group. Neither of the teams which qualified from England's group did anything of note in the knock-out stage. If you do not consider this a fail then you're as much part of the problem as the English set-up is.

This, is what I should have written.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That would be the overbasic way of looking at it. Let's break down the actual matches, shall we?

Italy - Played well, pretty much matched them and narrowly lost against a good side.
Uruguay - played poorly but were level til near the end, again a narrow loss with fine margins.
Costa Rica - Our b team played out a respectable draw against a form side who beat the 2 sides above and would've wanted to finish first (obviously).

So...yeah. Not exactly an EPIC FAIL LOLZ etc or anything, was it? Just a slight disappointment of hoping we'd get further than we did. Certainly no expectations.

The point which you keep making and the point you are also missing is that elite sport IS often about narrow margins and it is these margins which seperate the good from the bad. At the sharp end of sport a few failings can and will be ruthlessly exposed by the more equiped.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've gone for Murray beacuse it was so baffling. He was looking the best player at the tournament and in the best form he'd been in since Wimbledon the previous year.

He ended up getting humiliated. Story of our summer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Italy, allowed to play in the space the Italian style provides.
Uruquay, one man team and Rooney was shown what a true world class player looks like.
Costa Rica, seems the only person bothered by this game is Mellotron.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here