Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O'Grady can be a big hit.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Much is made in the Argus today of how Chris O'Grady could prove to be a very good signing by the club. We all hope, of course, that this will be the case but we still need a minimum of one more striker in my view; and before the new season starts. If we fail to sign a top notch striker in the next few weeks to replace Leo it will be a major disappointment, and we can hardly plead poverty with the money we now have in the bank. Let's hope for some positive news on the striker front in the near future. Ricardo Vaz Te or Baldock will do. :thumbsup:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11358582._/?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We definitely need a new top gun striker.

I'd like us to get Vossen, or Becchio.

I think Vaz Te is not a bad call either, but not sure about Baldock at all.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Feedback from two Sheffield Wednesday :)lolol:) fans I know:

"Just noticed you've signed Chris O'Grady!! Good luck - was poor for us. 100% effort but no pace and not a great finisher. Some fans loved him because he tries hard but I don't think he's got the quality for a top 6 team. Borderline L1 / lower championship player in my view."

"Quite good in the air, has a fair shot on him but he need about 9 chances to get 1 goal and is paceless."

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Barnsley fan next door is gutted he's gone,might do a bit better than people think:rolleyes:
Yeah. If I look at it positively* I think that perhaps O'Grady and CMS can be a case of the 'whole being greater than the sum of the parts'. Maybe CMS can really thrive playing off a big lump.

Could it perhaps be the new Mellor/Ward combo? (Ok, perhaps I'm getting a bit over-positive here - but Wardy was at his best when he played with Spider)

*If I look at it negatively I think what a crying shame it is that we had to sell our best player to cover all the losses we've made over the last few years on buying/paying losers like Harley and sicknotes like Hoskins. They'll be bugger all of the Ulloa fee to re-invest in the squad once we've covered those losses.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Quite good in the air, has a fair shot on him but he need about 9 chances to get 1 goal and is paceless."

Superb, Complete opposite & will fit in beautifully with CMS and will be level in the scoring charts also

Has anyone called him 'Rosie' yet... If not can I have first claim!?

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
Main thing is to sign someone with talent, a lot of people are suggesting Becchio but he is a very one dimensional player who would not fit the bill of a top replacement. Has barely made a cameo in the time since we signed Ulloa, and is far too old to warrant consideration. We need someone who is younger, at least 26/27 or younger, and with more ability than a simple goal poacher as Becchio was, it is important to emphasise he wouldn't get the same amount of chances as he did at Leeds.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
*If I look at it negatively I think what a crying shame it is that we had to sell our best player to cover all the losses we've made over the last few years on buying/paying losers like Harley and sicknotes like Hoskins. They'll be bugger all of the Ulloa fee to re-invest in the squad once we've covered those losses.

All clubs have Harleys and Hoskins they can point to. Do you really think over the last five years no other teams have a) signed a donkey or b) signed a player who ended up being permanently injured? We are hardly unique in that respect.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
we still need a minimum of one more striker in my view; and before the new season starts. If we fail to sign a top notch striker in the next few weeks to replace Leo it will be a major disappointment
The sooner the better, but if I knew that we'd have an excellent new striker, as from the last day of the window, I'd be happy, even though he'd have missed 5 games.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Main thing is to sign someone with talent.

My fear about O'Grady is he is another mediocre Championship level player. I am sure he can 'do a job', but his previous record would suggest he doesn't exactly have Premier League potential. I'd rather see us take a bit of a gamble and get a young striker in, someone who maybe has the talent and skill to develop into a great player. O'Grady is 28. Without dismissing him, because I'm sure he's OK at this level, we already know he will never be a great player.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
All clubs have Harleys and Hoskins they can point to. Do you really think over the last five years no other teams have a) signed a donkey or b) signed a player who ended up being permanently injured? We are hardly unique in that respect.

No of course not. But those losses have to be covered don't they? You can't just pretend they never happened and say "Oh Tony will pay", or "No worries, we'll just go into Admin, wipe off the debts and start again." (Although I accept that is precisely what some clubs DO say).

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm quite positive about the prospects of COG and CMS.

I'm hopeful that COG's performance last season indicate that he's a late bloomer in the Lambert guise and his good for will continue in a better team, that could be worth 15+ goals for us next season.

CMS IMO was criminally under utilised by Gus and still managed to get in the double digets in his first two seasons back in the Championship. A front trio from CMS, March, Buckley, Lua Lua and COG should scare most Championship defences.

These two players are good options and we have Fenelon to try and show his worth as well, so I don't think our need for a striker is so desperate as some people make out. Personally, I hope we make two solid signings in the left back and goalkeeper positions as a priority.

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
CMS IMO was criminally under utilised by Gus and still managed to get in the double digets in his first two seasons back in the Championship.

Don't know much about COG at all so can't comment, but definitely agree with this. I reckon he still has the quality in him to make an impact this season too.

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
My fear about O'Grady is he is another mediocre Championship level player. I am sure he can 'do a job', but his previous record would suggest he doesn't exactly have Premier League potential. I'd rather see us take a bit of a gamble and get a young striker in, someone who maybe has the talent and skill to develop into a great player. O'Grady is 28. Without dismissing him, because I'm sure he's OK at this level, we already know he will never be a great player.

I think that is probably a fair assessment to make, i mean surprises can happen but that would be one hell of a surprise. Whilst he may not be the inspiring striker type that can be found with people like Rhodes, Deeney, McCormack or Ulloa, he has actually scored a lot of goals at this level and i think there will be more belief that he can affect the game as a substitute whereas when throwing on our loanees you never really believed they would score. I would like to see a gamble with a young striker and defender or two, each season there are points where greer, calde, or bruno look on their last legs yet we do not replace any of them, we need some younger players at the back. I believe O'Grady could notch some important goals and as he is strong and good in the air this could be important for a plan B, and towards the end of a match where you need to get the ball up there as quick as possible at least we will have someone to receive it.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I'm quite positive about the prospects of COG and CMS.

I'm hopeful that COG's performance last season indicate that he's a late bloomer in the Lambert guise and his good for will continue in a better team, that could be worth 15+ goals for us next season.

CMS IMO was criminally under utilised by Gus and still managed to get in the double digets in his first two seasons back in the Championship. A front trio from CMS, March, Buckley, Lua Lua and COG should scare most Championship defences.

These two players are good options and we have Fenelon to try and show his worth as well, so I don't think our need for a striker is so desperate as some people make out. Personally, I hope we make two solid signings in the left back and goalkeeper positions as a priority.

I share your optimism re COG and CMS and agree with your thoughts as to an LB and GK.

However I am concerned that only having three strikers is a bit thin, especially with CMS returning from a nasty injury. Fingers crossed he will tear up the Championship but without him firing on all cylinders we would look a bit lacking. It is asking a lot of COG and Fenelon to step up. It also presumes that Buckley and KLL will remain fit to supply them. I'm mindful that last season there were significant periods when our lack of striking options left us a bit toothless. At the moment the striker department seems less strong than last season, so one more striker would be a sensible addition. I remain of the opinion that COG is a shrewd signing for the squad but may not be our new secret weapon - you don't replace your £8m no.1 striker with a £500k one and still hope to reach an automatic promotion place.

IMO we lack a play maker who can supply the one touch, defence splitting passes, dead balls and enable us to break forward faster, make us less one dimensional and less predictable for the opposition to close down. I note some on here feel that Kemy might step up.... which would be pleasant surprise. Maybe this is his big chance.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Feedback from two Sheffield Wednesday :)lolol:) fans I know:

"Just noticed you've signed Chris O'Grady!! Good luck - was poor for us. 100% effort but no pace and not a great finisher. Some fans loved him because he tries hard but I don't think he's got the quality for a top 6 team. Borderline L1 / lower championship player in my view."

"Quite good in the air, has a fair shot on him but he need about 9 chances to get 1 goal and is paceless."

How come he scored 15 goals for Barnsley, by my calculations that is 135 shots , I'll take that.
Suspect your style did not suit him.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Sami Hyypia: You paid 500K for this?
Burke and Bloom: That's what he cost, Sami.
Sami Hyypia: No, no, that's what you paid for him. 500K is what you paid for him. We don't know how much he's cost us yet. For you two to have a good time, we don't know the cost of that yet.

If you can't trust your friends then what then? What then?

Shallow-Grave-3.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here