Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Record Transfer Fees - Brighton

Seagull Crow

Sep 3, 2012
Not that this makes the blindest bit of difference, but Ulloa's transfer made me wonder about our record transfer fees for players. Am I correct in thinking the following would be our 'record transfers'? (I'm aware that some of the sums quoted were 'undisclosed' and based on press speculation)

Sales
1. Ulloa (2014) - £8million
2. Bridcutt (2014) - £3.25million
3 Noone (2012) - £1.5million
3. Bennett (2011) - £1.5million
3. Zamora (2003) - £1.5million

Buys
1. Mackail-Smith (2011) - £2.5million
2. Ulloa (2013) - £2million
3. Buckley (2011) - £1million

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
and Gary Hart (that kit didn't come for free, oops, yes it did!)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mark Beeney at some point

Was Lawrenson sold for £900k? If so that's around £3m in today's money, but for some reason record fees don't usually take inflation into account.

Lawrenson was sold for £900k. We also paid £500k for Andy Ritchie from Man U meaning we paid the equivalent of 2.2 million for Ritchie

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...tion-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

Beeney went for 500k but that paid the tax man and saved the club.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Mark Beeney at some point

£350,000 I think with add one to the sum of £500,000 based on games played and international caps. Though I don't think we got that final figure. He had the honour of saving us from the taxman when we sold him and also of saving Maidstone at the time when we brought him.

Seagull Crow

Sep 3, 2012
Was Lawrenson sold for £900k? If so that's around £3m in today's money, but for some reason record fees don't usually take inflation into account.

This is a really good point - which is why included the year of transfer above.

After inflation, Lawrenson's transfer would have been worth nearly £3.5million in today's money (see http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...tion-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html)

Zamora's transfer would be worth in excess of £2.129million and Virgo's marginally in excess of £2million

That said, footballing 'values' have inflated astronomically in the post-Sky era - so it's not just inflation that needs to be taken into account

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I would imagine we were awarded £1million+ for Gareth Barry (and Michael Standing).
Eventually.
Though I believe we settled for less to get it 'upfront'

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is a really good point - which is why included the year of transfer above.

After inflation, Lawrenson's transfer would have been worth nearly £3.5million in today's money (see http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...tion-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html)

Zamora's transfer would be worth in excess of £2.129million and Virgo's marginally in excess of £2million

That said, footballing 'values' have inflated astronomically in the post-Sky era - so it's not just inflation that needs to be taken into account

A quick study of relative transfer values is quite scary re the Ritchie and Lawrenson transfers. In 1979 Trevor Francis became the first million pound player. We paid 500k for Ritchie in 1980. The current record is c.£86 mill for bale. You could argue we paid the equivalent of £43 million for Andy Ritchie. Not for very long though.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Hasn't bozza suggested that the fee for Bridcutt was closer to 5m? Even if that the club leaking a price that was reliant on add-ons, they stayed up so I would expect we got most if not all of them.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I would imagine we were awarded £1million+ for Gareth Barry (and Michael Standing).
Eventually.
Though I believe we settled for less to get it 'upfront'

We definitely settled for less though not sure how much the original award was. Think it was 1 million.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Think we also got a fair amount of compensation for Michael Standing and Gareth Barry. Found one article that said we'd received £1.1M and the amount could rise to £2.4M (I guess it didn't get anywhere near that).

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
LOL,

Lawro was our GREATEST ever player imho, he would have fetched at least £20 - 30M today if he was in his prime!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
LOL,

Lawro was our GREATEST ever player imho, he would have fetched at least £20 - 30M today if he was in his prime!

But we'd also have had a lot of our fans saying he's worth £3m and i'd drive him there myself for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here