Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Boiler needed (most likely) - Walthamstow, 1 bed flat

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Current boiler - Worcester Bosch 240 (possible dating back to 1991, so 20 years old or so).

We have British Gas Homecare 200 on it, but the part that has failed - the Mains Electronic Board, is no longer available…?

So a new boiler most likely now needed.

I know British Gas will likely be expensive (they are quoting) - any plumbers who cover E17 want to quote for the new installation, or the repair of the old one if they're able to source the part above?

Any advice on this for a smallish 1 bed flat?

Many thanks

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
just to understand... BG have been happily taking premiums to cover a boiler that they don't actually cover?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
have a look at the other threads on boilers and there are plenty of tip of how to get a boiler for free

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
just to understand... BG have been happily taking premiums to cover a boiler that they don't actually cover?

Ummm, yes, it does look like that, doesn't it?

Yes well, the policy covered repairs, replacement parts, servicing, landlords certificate, but any boiler over 8 years old is not covered for replacement. We kind of knew this, and the premiums were pretty low and probably covered a couple of repairs we had over the years……probably :facepalm:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
have a look at the other threads on boilers and there are plenty of tip of how to get a boiler for free

Yes, I've had a nose around. Because this is a bit of an emergency (my friend, his wife and young child live in the flat), not sure the Green Deal route is going to take far too long to sort out, unless I can claim post installation which I'll look into.

If you have any further info. on that, please let me know.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yes well, the policy covered repairs, replacement parts, servicing, landlords certificate, but any boiler over 8 years old is not covered for replacement. We kind of knew this, and the premiums were pretty low and probably covered a couple of repairs we had over the years……probably :facepalm:

It is worth the premium for the annual service and landlords certificate. This model of boiler was discontinued in 1997 suggesting it could have made its debut in 1990/91 and I think manufacturers only keep spare parts for 7 years after a model is withdrawn. Our annual service on a 11 year old Ideal boiler is being done on Thursday.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have just googled "free boiler" and found pages of the stuff
we live in rented accommodation and although on a small benefit(you don't have to be on any now) and withing two weeks the guy was here fitting it (I doubt if you had to pay it would be any quicker)

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have just googled "free boiler" and found pages of the stuff
we live in rented accommodation and although on a small benefit(you don't have to be on any now) and withing two weeks the guy was here fitting it (I doubt if you had to pay it would be any quicker)

Thanks, I've looked into it a bit more now, and we have a Green Deal Assessor visiting tomorrow afternoon. It's possible we'll be able to get the cash back grants (£1000 to the boiler, £100 for the assessment), but maybe not the finance that is added to the energy bills as that can take a good few weeks to come through and we can't wait that long.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Thanks for that. They're all out of stock apart from ebay, that company refurbish them and give a 1 yr warranty, although for £30 for the part it's not a reassurance of reliability as such, just that they're happy to send a new part or refund.

£30 plus installation sounds a lot better than a new boiler, or should we just be trying to keep it going, it is just shy of 25 years old?

jon12345

Jul 22, 2014
Thanks for that. They're all out of stock apart from ebay, that company refurbish them and give a 1 yr warranty, although for £30 for the part it's not a reassurance of reliability as such, just that they're happy to send a new part or refund.

£30 plus installation sounds a lot better than a new boiler, or should we just be trying to keep it going, it is just shy of 25 years old?

if it was me I would take a gamble on the one on ebay. The only question is how confident are you of the British gas engineers diagnosis that it is the PCB?

The PCB's do fail on these Worceters so there is a good chance he's right. Another common fault is the " Diverter Valve " This shows as the Central Heating working but no Hot Water.

The Overheat Thermostat can also fail but these are easy to check and I would have thought he would have checked/noticed this.

I do have the service manuals with fault finding and part numbers in PDF format if you need them ( just pm your email address)

Good luck

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
if it was me I would take a gamble on the one on ebay. The only question is how confident are you of the British gas engineers diagnosis that it is the PCB?

The PCB's do fail on these Worceters so there is a good chance he's right. Another common fault is the " Diverter Valve " This shows as the Central Heating working but no Hot Water.

The Overheat Thermostat can also fail but these are easy to check and I would have thought he would have checked/noticed this.

I do have the service manuals with fault finding and part numbers in PDF format if you need them ( just pm your email address)

Good luck

Excuse me for asking and picking your brains....but what wall mounted boilers do you recommend? ...i know mine is going to need replacing at some stage in the near future

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
We need a new boiler and the user requirement was simple. It had to be a Worcester Bosch and as a minimum equal the capacity of the current boiler.

British Gas estimated £2400-2800 excluding the £400 discount so I got them to come and take a proper look. I couldn't be there on the day and got home to find a quote for a BG branded boiler on the grounds they're made with Worcester Bosch parts. Quote was £3240 including the £400 discount. :ohmy:

We then tried Swale Heating, based in Kent but came highly recommended. Man knew his stuff. Worcester Bosch boiler, 7 year guarantee, 12 months interest free for £2510. They also do their own service contracts starting around £100. Boiler being installed this week, British Gas service contract cancelled next week.

jon12345

Jul 22, 2014
Excuse me for asking and picking your brains....but what wall mounted boilers do you recommend? ...i know mine is going to need replacing at some stage in the near future

Hi

I've been retired from being a heating engineer for a few years now, so couldn't give you the most up to-date advice on the latest boilers.

But my advice would be find an installer you like and trust. I know you're not going to be mates popping down the pub together. But if you don't feel comfortable with him before he's had a couple of grand off you, what's it going to be like after the cheque has cleared and you have a problem. Then see what he recommends and pick a known brand Vaillant, Worceter etc they will have a good warranty and service backup. it's a matter of when a modern boiler goes wrong and not if and the warranty/backup from the installer and manufacture will help a lot.

Hope this helps a bit.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hi

I've been retired from being a heating engineer for a few years now, so couldn't give you the most up to-date advice on the latest boilers.

But my advice would be find an installer you like and trust. I know you're not going to be mates popping down the pub together. But if you don't feel comfortable with him before he's had a couple of grand off you, what's it going to be like after the cheque has cleared and you have a problem. Then see what he recommends and pick a known brand Vaillant, Worceter etc they will have a good warranty and service backup. it's a matter of when a modern boiler goes wrong and not if and the warranty/backup from the installer and manufacture will help a lot.

Hope this helps a bit.

Noted and thank you

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here