Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to Paris

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Decided this summer that I need a new challenge. I've applied for and got a new job based in Paris.

So, I'm calling all NSCers who have had experience of living in France's capital city for advice. Although my employer is providing an English speaking relocation company to help with the move it's always best to get as much info as you can:

Where's the best place to get a flat? I've been warned off the 18th, 19th and 20th.

Eating is relatively cheap, but where do I find cheap beer?

I'm not planning on giving up my season ticket so what's the best way to commute every fortnight?

Merci.:thumbsup:

Stumpy Tim

Decided this summer that I need a new challenge. I've applied for and got a new job based in Paris.

So, I'm calling all NSCers who have had experience of living in France's capital city for advice. Although my employer is providing an English speaking relocation company to help with the move it's always best to get as much info as you can:

Where's the best place to get a flat? I've been warned off the 18th, 19th and 20th.

Eating is relatively cheap, but where do I find cheap beer?

I'm not planning on giving up my season ticket so what's the best way to commute every fortnight?

Budget etc?

I would suggest the best way to get back for the footy is the train to Ashford international, change there for Brighton

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
At least you won't have to see Sheffield Wednesday :lolol::lolol:

Paris is ridic expensive for food and drink.

Irish bar was 4 EURO a pint, which has half the price of any other bar I went to that weekend.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Budget etc?

I would suggest the best way to get back for the footy is the train to Ashford international, change there for Brighton

Possibly worth looking at flights too given Gatwick-Falmer is so easy, might be cheaper than the train if booked far enough in advance (and hope Sky don't change the fixtures)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Need a bit more information before providing advice - are you single/part of a couple/with kids? What are you looking for, on a scale of really quiet through to living above a nightclub? How much do you want/can you afford to pay - on a scale from cheap and cheerful through to penthouse living?

Cheap beer - every arrondissement has cheap bars - choose one, then I can give you tips for beer!

Commuting for footie - I'd do the cheap flights into LGW, tbh.

Congratulations on the move!

EDIT: Me neither :lolol:

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Unless he's a season ticket holder at Hillsborough. I hadn't spotted the quite obvious fact he's a Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: fan

Of course I'm a Wednesdayite but I've been an Albion season ticket holder since the Goldstone.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Plane from Le Touquet to Shoreham?

http://www.euroexec.com/

There was a Shoreham Paris service, but it has been suspended, as there is no immigration control at Pontoise http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-22383477

Budget etc?

Hardly any Eurostar trains use Ashford these days. Most stop at Ebbsfleet instead.

If you are going to work for a French company, check out whatever workers representation is in place. These go far beyond what Trade Unions provide in this country. They get involved with all sorts of things, like buying bulk wine direct from top growers and distributing it to members.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Need a bit more information before providing advice - are you single/part of a couple/with kids? What are you looking for, on a scale of really quiet through to living above a nightclub? How much do you want/can you afford to pay - on a scale from cheap and cheerful through to penthouse living?

Cheap beer - every arrondissement has cheap bars - choose one, then I can give you tips for beer!

Commuting for footie - I'd do the cheap flights into LGW, tbh.

Congratulations on the move!

EDIT: Me neither :lolol:

I'm leaving the good lady wife here in Sussex with the kids so I'm looking for a one bedroom flat in a relatively quiet neighbourhood. A couple of friends who already work in Paris have said I'm probably looking at 1500 Euros per month which is fine.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm leaving the good lady wife here in Sussex with the kids so I'm looking for a one bedroom flat in a relatively quiet neighbourhood. A couple of friends who already work in Paris have said I'm probably looking at 1500 Euros per month which is fine.

OK. Then I'd suggest 6e (might be too expensive?), 14e or 15e. Would they work for your commute?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Am also moving back to France (and am not giving up my Season ticket) and noticed that the Euro Tunnel has a deal of buying 10 tickets for journeys with a car (in off peak times) for £430.00.

I didn't think that was too bad at £43.00 a time..(£86.00 return of course)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here