Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the techies

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm having real problems with my PC. I can't get Intenet connection at al. Ive checked with Virgin and I get a signal to the house and I can use wireless on the phone but my PC gets nada. I can't ping to the default gateway as an IPCONFIG search fot the IP address returns the messages 'media disconnected'. The phyical connection is fine and the Ethernet cable is fine, it's just that somehow the PC doesn't recognise that everything is fine.

I've not changed any configuration, Ive had no strange error messages and the Ethernet cable will connect to an old laptop OK.A perfectly good connection will not be recognised

I thought I was reasonanly techies and can fix most things but this is baffling - anyone got any ideas?

Smeagull

Mar 20, 2012
Open device manager and take a look under network adapters. Is there anything there? If not the onboard network interface could be faulty. If there's something there but there's a yellow warning symbol on it, open the properties of the device and see what the error code is. This could indicate a driver problem. Has this happened suddenly or has it never worked?

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
If all looks good in the device manager try resetting the following for XP:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Or for Vista or Win 7:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or Windows 7.

Start, All Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting
assume no wireless on PC?
remove n/w cable wait 30 seconds and reconnect
wait one minute, is still nothing then....
command prompt ipconfig /renew , if still nothing then...
ipconfig /release then reboot PC and try again

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks for the replies. I should have said that I was running XP, I checked device manager and card was fine, and that the PC has no wireless card. I will investigate option

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks for the replies. I should have said that I was running XP, I checked device manager and card was fine, and that the PC has no wireless card. I will investigate winsock option. I should also add that i've added no new devices it made any changes lately, and that it's been working ok for years

D

Deleted member 22389

Thanks for the replies. I should have said that I was running XP, I checked device manager and card was fine, and that the PC has no wireless card. I will investigate winsock option. I should also add that i've added no new devices it made any changes lately, and that it's been working ok for years

Could this be of help. Look in the BIOS and see if Ethernet has been disabled, if the BIOS does have that option. Stranger things have happened. I'm guessing your mb has built in ethernet.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19039413.aspx

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Friend of mine has exact same problem, all other devices OK but new PC, Virgin and Windows 8 no go. Still not resolved.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
have you tried turning it off and on again?

and after that, how have you confirmed the physical connection and cable are fine? check with a known good computer/laptop, try changing the port used on the router, try different known good cable, make sure the cables sit properly (have you tried unplugging and plugging it back in...).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here