Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving West...

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
...from Reading to Exeter later this week. Does anyone do a similar run regularly and what route would you recommend?

M4-M5 or M3-A303-A30 or other?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I drive to Exeter very week from Pulborough, my route, A29, A27, M27, A36, A303/30. If find it's generally a decent drive, I tried M4/M5 a few times (via Guildford, Bracknell) but really didn't like it. If you can get down to the A303 after Stonehenge then it's a nice drive, if you have to go past Stonehenge on the 303, then do it early.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
All depends what time you are leaving. I drive down to Exeter a lot and M3, A303 is your best bet. Gets a bit claggy at Stonehenge but not a bad run.
Done it M4 M5 and its takes about the same time and to be honest i think there is only about 20 miles or so in it :thumbsup:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
….if you have to go past Stonehenge on the 303, then do it early.

100% this. I do the A303 east-wards to get to home games. Always a mess at Stonehenge for traffic headed west. Did it a couple of times over the weekend for various reasons…..still a mess! My advice would be to aim to get to Stonehenge by 10am at the latest, or risk having to be patient.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
From Reading the M4/5 is the winner, from Brighton area open to debate...
Don't leave at 9am on Sat whichever, 6am or pm or you'll be behind thousands of Brummie caravans

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
100% this. I do the A303 east-wards to get to home games. Always a mess at Stonehenge for traffic headed west. Did it a couple of times over the weekend for various reasons…..still a mess! My advice would be to aim to get to Stonehenge by 10am at the latest, or risk having to be patient.

Have you tried dropping down to Wilton/Salisbury then down to the M27? That's the way I go.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Family all live in Devon so visit very regularly, and have tried most routes. Would probably go M4/5 from Reading, but I use 23/25/A303/M5 (to Tiverton though, not Exeter - A30 more direct from A303) from mid Sussex. Avoid 7-10am if you can (and avoid the next few school holiday Saturdays, and this week in particular completely as it'll be a caravan and MPV park all day) and similarly 4-8pm on the way back (especially if it's a Sunday). Stonehenge is an utter pain in the arse section (Countess Services roundabout), be past there before 8 if you use the 303.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Its the start of the holidays choose your timing well whichever way you go. I never use the 303 or M5 at this time of year unless I travel very early or late.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Thanks for comments to date.

Just had it confirmed that I'm driving from Reading on Friday & need to be in Exeter by 1pm latest. Setting off at 6am seems to be the order of the day...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Have you tried dropping down to Wilton/Salisbury then down to the M27? That's the way I go.

That's crazy. You want to go West. Personally I wouldn't start at Reading.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
That's crazy. You want to go West. Personally I wouldn't start at Reading.

Got no choice. Arriving in Reading late the night before to pick up 'the package'.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Starting from Reading you really have no choice but to go M4/M5 it is by far the quickest at any time of year. Leaving at 6 you will be there by 8.30 easy unless some grockle has flipped his caravan over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here