Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steven Gerrard

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Cheers Steven :clap2:

Time to move on now though. This does leave the issue of who is to be the Captain? I'd be amazed if Lampard continued so that really does just leave Rooney as the most senior player.

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Cheers Steven :clap2:

Time to move on now though. This does leave the issue of who is to be the Captain? I'd be amazed if Lampard continued so that really does just leave Rooney as the most senior player.

Probably someone like Cahill I suppose. Rooney will probably get it though. Personally, I'd rather he concentrated on scoring goals.

Gerrard's been a great player for Liverpool over the years, but I've often found him frustrating for England. I think he's made the right call, for England's sake as much as his own. Good time to make a clean break, with the odd decent young player coming to the fore.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Fantastic player and captain.

Considering how poor England have become in his playing time it would be easy to just say he was overrated but that would be extremely unfair as he can't win games on his own.

He always have 100% and wore his heart on his sleeve, compare that with someone like Rooney and it's clear that he was head and shoulders above other 'superstars'.

Good luck Stevie for the rest of your Liverpool career.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
England's loss is Liverpool's gain. And it is a loss because he was a leader and I don't see too many of those in the squad at the moment.

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
Better than anyone else whose worn the three lions in the last decade or so.

Personally I still do not understand the need to retire from International football.
The only person making a decision on when and who walks out on to a pitch to play for England should be the England manager.

A certain ex-team mate of Gerrard's should not have been able to rule himself out of the England reckoning when he did and then have all the public hype about being coaxed out of retirement in 2010.

Whilst it may well be the right time to pick others in front of Gerrard, if Roy -or any of his successors - wanted him to play, the only decision Steven should have to make is how loud to say yes when asked?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
This news lowers our list of effective international central midfielders available for selection from 0 to 0.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
At least he put in a shift for England, unlike players like Paul Scholes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sad to see the end of a great England career - which could have been even greater if managers had played him in his best position, but he always seemed to be the one who had to play out of position to accommodate the less adaptable Lampard.....Sven used to play him left midfield (in a 4-4-2) ffs!

Have a couple more good seasons with Liverpool, Sir!

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
thank god for that! one more overrated player gone.

What a ridiculous comment. If Gerrard is overrated you know absolutely nothing about football.

Also one of the very few players who can be called loyal as he could have earned a lot more money had he followed the pay cheque but he stayed with the club he supported all his life.

Great player and a great ambassador for the English game. More so than Beckham in my opinion.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Better than anyone else whose worn the three lions in the last decade or so.

Personally I still do not understand the need to retire from International football.
The only person making a decision on when and who walks out on to a pitch to play for England should be the England manager.

A certain ex-team mate of Gerrard's should not have been able to rule himself out of the England reckoning when he did and then have all the public hype about being coaxed out of retirement in 2010.

Whilst it may well be the right time to pick others in front of Gerrard, if Roy -or any of his successors - wanted him to play, the only decision Steven should have to make is how loud to say yes when asked?

This is how I feel about it and for me it sums up the general attitude towards playing for England. Essentially Gerrard is saying he can play at a level good enough to represent Liverpool in the premier league and champions league and would rather do that than represent his country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here