Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£10 Million for Leonardo WHY?????????

Spinal Wheels

Apr 9, 2012
Newick
Having given the Ulloa's pending £10 Million record transfer some reflection. It seems amazing what scoring no more than three or four goals can do for a players market value when scored at the right time & against the right teams. Obviously the goals he scored against Leicester last season hit the spot as far as Nigel Pearson is concerned. This was further cemented by Ulloa's 92 minute winner against Forest to sneak us into the Play Offs.
A stunning bit of business by our beloved Chairman in hindsight, he played a cool hand you could say. But he clearly knew that those three or four goals mean't the cards were stacked so to speak.
Could you buy my next Lottery Ticket Mr Bloom ?.:cool:

No, I don't think it was 3 or 4 goals that got him the move - but I agree to the extent that his record against the better teams proved he was a Premiership standard player, which we saw very early on when he played against Arsenal. Those players are worth £8m if they are in the prime of their career like Leo

And for a team challenging for the Premiership like us, they could be the difference in getting the £100m+ annual revenues. Apparently the argument is we can get a replacement player to do this for us - well, time will tell

Spinal Wheels

Apr 9, 2012
Newick
I totally agree, but in my opinion his last four or so months of the season that added several millions extra to his value.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
If you score goals in games that are noticed by the media then you get talked up a lot.This has a knock on effect that actually becomes a self fulfilling prophecy whereby everyone rates a player higher than maybe he actually is. Not saying that was the case with Ulloa as he is clearly a good player with a good goal scoring record but I think we would all agree that £10m is outside what most of us would have valued him at.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
If he scores ten goals that keep them in the Premier League and pocket another fortune in TV money, and his replacement fails to hit the mark as well, he'll have been worth alot more then 10 million, we shall see who Bloom gets in.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
3 or 4 goals?

I could swear he scored 23 in 50 games for us, including goals against Premier League opposition.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
And for a team challenging for the Premiership like us, they could be the difference in getting the £100m+ annual revenues. Apparently the argument is we can get a replacement player to do this for us - well, time will tell
This,
it's all about what we do with the money now & whether we use it effectively & in time to make losing him (& Bridders & Barnes) worthwhile...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
How do we know it's not Barber/Burke who have masterminded the hugely inflated transfer fee??

Can't be Burke, he knows nothing about football apparently.

Can anyone remember who recommended Ulloa in the first place?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012
Set this against Loic Remy going to Liverpool for a reported £8.5million.......... Good business from Mr Bloom

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
How do we know it's not Barber/Burke who have masterminded the hugely inflated transfer fee??

Well it was, wasn't it. I know Bloom is surrounded by the "poker player" stuff, but Barber negotiates outgoing transfers, Burke incoming.

Both are doing pretty good jobs if you ask me.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 27, 2012
He's scored terrific goals and had fine performances in last 18 months against Arsenal, Hull, Burnley,QPR, Palace and Leicester. All prem league opposition in 14/15. I think he'll be fine.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Seems that 4-1 at Leicester, was a very good pay day for the Albion.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Seems that 4-1 at Leicester, was a very good pay day for the Albion.

I don't think it made a blind bit of difference. All the Leicester players were hungover that day, so I'm pretty sure Pearson ignored the performance and didn't draw any extra conclusions from it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here