Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lancaster

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
:bowdown:Britains Flying Past, did anyone else watch this programme last night on BBC2? Well worth a look and I defy anybody not to have a tear in their eyes by the end of it. Brave men and amazing stories.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Lancaster deserved better than having John Sergeant present the program, I thought he was awful.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Will have to go searching for that one - my Grandad was a navigator on Lancasters during the war. Still going at 91, though not so strong, he meets up once a month or so with his war colleagues to do book signings and speeches etc.

Barrow Boy

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I posted this article on a previous thread but found it so amazing thought it was worth posting again.

Reading about the acts of heroism carried out by recipients of the Victoria Cross since its inception have always filled me with admiration, but this one to me, is simply astonishing.

NORMAN CYRIL JACKSON
No. 106 Squadron

Sergeant Norman Cyril Jackson, R.A.F.V.R., No. 106 Squadron.

On 20 July 1943 Jackson joined his first squadron, No 106 based at Syerston, in Nottinghamshire, flying Lancasters. The crew settled down well together and by mid-November had completed 14 sorties against targets in Germany. In late November the Squadron was moved to Metheringham, in Lincolnshire, to continue its part in the night air offensive.

On a trip to Munich on 24 April 1944 Jackson flew his 30th sortie, having flown an extra operation with another crew when its flight engineer was indisposed. The others had one operation to do to complete their tour and Jackson cheerfully agreed to do one more sortie to stay with his friends on 26 April.

The target was Schweinfurt and the crew were in good humour, particularly Jackson who had earlier received a telegram informing that his wife, Alma, had just given birth to their first son, Ian. The Lancaster reached the target safely, dropped their bombs successfully and turned home at about 20,000 feet. Not long after they set course for home they were attacked by a Focke-Wulf 190 which raked them with cannon fire, and the starboard inner engine of the Lancaster burst into flames. Jackson pushed the button on his panel to operate the engine's fire extinguisher, and the flames died down: but seconds later the fire flared up again.

Jackson realised the danger of the fire igniting the adjacent petrol tanks in the wing. He suggested climbing out on to the wing with a fire extinguisher and Mifflin, struggling to control the damaged aircraft, accepted this incredible suggestion. Jackson's plan was to don his parachute, pull the ripcord inside the fuselage and have the navigator and bomb-aimer hang on to the cords of the chute and pay them out as he made his way on to the wing. He put on his chute and pulled the ripcord, stuffed a fire extinguisher inside his Mae West, and opened the dinghy escape hatch. The engine was still burning fiercely and Jackson looked for a handhold on the wing and saw the leading edge air intake ahead of him. Flinging himself forward he managed to grip the intake and hold on. He aimed the extinguisher into the engine cowling and the flames began to die down.

Suddenly he heard the sound of cannon fire and felt sharp pains in his legs and back - the FW190 had returned. The shock loosened his grip on the extinguisher which fell away and the fire again blazed up and swept over Jackson as he lay there. He lost his grip and the slipstream flung him backwards. He was pulled to a halt just behind the rear turret, being dragged and twisted behind the falling aircraft, held by the cords of the parachute. The cords, already smouldering from the burning engine, were being let out hurriedly by the navigator and bomb-aimer inside the fuselage before they could bail out.

Once Jackson was free of the aircraft he started grabbing at the lines with his bare hands to extinguish the smouldering cords. The main canopy was slashed and torn, burn- holes riddled the silk, as he continued his rapid descent. He hit the ground fairly hard, some bushes partially breaking his fall but an ankle seemed to be broken, his right eye was closed through burns and his hands were useless. At daybreak he crawled to a village nearby and knocked on the door of a house. A man opened the door and bawled at him in German, then two girls came out pushing the man aside. They took him inside and bathed his wounds; they were nurses from the local hospital. The rest of the crew had been rounded up. The pilot and rear gunner had been killed but the others were all right and they were all taken to a police station.

After 10 months in hospital Jackson made a good recovery, though his hands required further treatment, and he was then taken to PoW camp from which was eventually freed by the Americans in 1945.

At the end of the war, when the surviving crew members were repatriated, the full story of Jackson's remarkable bravery was disclosed. He was awarded the Victoria Cross on 26 October 1945 and went to Buckingham Palace the following month to receive his cross, alongside another VC, the celebrated Group Captain Leonard Cheshire.

As a footnote to this story, Channel 4 ran a series (last year I think) about RAF VCs in WW2, it came out that when Norman Jackson was informed he had been recommended for the VC his first reaction was "Why"?
A different breed.
:bowdown:

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Just in passing I read the following:
"The last two Lancaster bombers still flying in the world will come together in a series of events this summer, in a meeting unlikely to happen ever again.

The Royal Air Force Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (RAF BBMF) based at RAF Coningsby in Lincs will welcome the arrival of a very special guest during August when Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum (CWHM) fly its prized Avro Lancaster to the UK for a month long visit."

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Just in passing I read the following:
"The last two Lancaster bombers still flying in the world will come together in a series of events this summer, in a meeting unlikely to happen ever again.

The Royal Air Force Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (RAF BBMF) based at RAF Coningsby in Lincs will welcome the arrival of a very special guest during August when Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum (CWHM) fly its prized Avro Lancaster to the UK for a month long visit."

Looking forward to seeing them both flying over the village, often see the Lancaster fly by.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
The two Lancasters are both scheduled to appear at Eastbourne Airborne (3 days), the Shoreham Airshow (1 day) and (provisionally) the Goodwood Revival - so those in Sussex should have plenty of opportunities to the see them.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
:bowdown:Britains Flying Past, did anyone else watch this programme last night on BBC2? Well worth a look and I defy anybody not to have a tear in their eyes by the end of it. Brave men and amazing stories.

Yes l did, absolutely superb it was too. The bit at the end when the elderly woman visited what was left of her father's Lancaster after it crashed into the lake at Peenemunde was truly emotional.

By the way, l thought John Sargent presented it brilliantly. A real fan of the aircraft ever since childhood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here