Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rampion wind farm - Turbines will be 689 feet tall !!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the sea view will not be "unacceptably" spoilt, they will be changed. today there is an ordinary seascape, the same as another place along the coast when you look out perpendicular to the coast line. or any other coast in any country. its funny how one of the shots on that peice features a lighthouse: that migh seem unacceptable to some wanting a pure unadulterated scene.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Yeah but how much will you see due to the visible horizon if the are 8-9 miles out?

If you are on a hill 330ft you can see about 22 miles but down on the beach on about 3 miles and they will be much less visible I reckon

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bit of a joke really. We need energy, that is how our society is. But the narrow minded oppose everything. If they don't want wind farms at sea to spoil the view then let's have some fracking. Oh, can't do that because they oppose that. Well if they don't want to spoil the sea view then build them on the downs. Shouldn't matter because apparently everyone is looking out to sea. We need energy so something has to give!!

Personally, I think the wind turbines look ok. Majestic pieces of modern design.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Bit of a joke really. We need energy, that is how our society is. But the narrow minded oppose everything. If they don't want wind farms at sea to spoil the view then let's have some fracking. Oh, can't do that because they oppose that. Well if they don't want to spoil the sea view then build them on the downs. Shouldn't matter because apparently everyone is looking out to sea. We need energy so something has to give!!

Personally, I think the wind turbines look ok. Majestic pieces of modern design.

Absolutely this. I can't believe some people, we are absolutely desperate for renewable energy to go mainstream and this is a step in the right direction.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Not sure what I think about this. I can't say I'm pleased as I think they look bloody awful. How much energy they really make is also up for debate. There are much more windy and remote places to put this farm. I mean the sea isn't restricted like land so the possibilities must be almost endless. I can't see this happening myself.

Also the amount of money they cost to build and then maintain would be better spent on buying up 1000's of Acres of rainforest and paying the locals and illegal loggers not to chop them. Cutting 1 acre of rainforest negatively impacts the environment as 10000 motor vehicles do in a lifetime. Spend the money on hydrogen car technology. So many more things that do more to help the environment and energy. Then again that doesn't 'look like' your doing anything. Look at us! Look at the UK, we are at the forefront on clean energy. Look at all the machinery, money and fuel we are using putting these windmills in. By the way they have been known to catch fire.

Last edited:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Yeah but how much will you see due to the visible horizon if the are 8-9 miles out?

If you are on a hill 330ft you can see about 22 miles but down on the beach on about 3 miles and they will be much less visible I reckon

Incorrect. Dreadful judgement or lie

Standing on Brighton beach you can easily see Worthing Pier (100ft?) 10 Miles away...

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(

Standing on Brighton beach you can easily see Worthing Pier (100ft?) 10 Miles away...

Yup, you can see Worthing pier but it's neither "Dreadful judgement or lie" in what was stated.
The part of the pier you can see is not at sea level.

Because of the curvature of the earth, the furthest you can see at sea level is 6 1/2 miles.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Wind turbines cannot be an effective source of energy until we have a European electric grid.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

:smile: A bit harsh to suggest its a lie, why would anyone do that. Though you are indeed correct, at ground level on a normal day you would expect to see more than twice that far (3 miles) ......though not if you are Mr Magoo.

Dec 29, 2011
Not sure what I think about this. I can't say I'm pleased as I think they look bloody awful. How much energy they really make is also up for debate. There are much more windy and remote places to put this farm. I mean the sea isn't restricted like land so the possibilities must be almost endless. I can't see this happening myself.

Also the amount of money they cost to build and then maintain would be better spent on buying up 1000's of Acres of rainforest and paying the locals and illegal loggers not to chop them. Cutting 1 acre of rainforest negatively impacts the environment as 10000 motor vehicles do in a lifetime. Spend the money on hydrogen car technology. So many more things that do more to help the environment and energy. Then again that doesn't 'look like' your doing anything. Look at us! Look at the UK, we are at the forefront on clean energy. Look at all the machinery, money and fuel we are using putting these windmills in. By the way they have been known to catch fire.

Source? I find that hard to believe, but incredible if true.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Welcome to the realities of modern britain. We live on a small, densely populated Island and we need more energy and there are no perfect solutions. Perhaps you shouldn't have opposed Fracking so vehemently?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
:smile: A bit harsh to suggest its a lie, why would anyone do that. Though you are indeed correct, at ground level on a normal day you would expect to see more than twice that far (3 miles) ......though not if you are Mr Magoo.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5kZ4uIUC0&feature=player_detailpage

It is possible to see the Isle of Wight from Truleigh Hill on clear days. 53 miles away.
It is also possible to see the Amex from Ditchling Beacon although I was told this would not be so.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is also possible to see the Amex from Ditchling Beacon although I was told this would not be so.
Tony now needs to Isambard Kingdom Brunel the shit out of the Ditchling view looking west.

There's a hill obscuring the view of Lancing.

He either needs to flatten that or dig through it to line up the sweet spot of being able to see The Amex and Academy from the same spot.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Tony now needs to Isambard Kingdom Brunel the shit out of the Ditchling view looking west.

He either needs to flatten that or dig through it to line up the sweet spot of being able to see The Amex and Academy from the same spot.

Surreal(ly) you mean Luis Bunuel. That would cut our sight and ensure nobody left early.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

The quote about deforestation is meaningless without any context, for example, 10,000 cars could have a lifetime of 15/20 years yet the acre of forest could be there centuries, if not for millennia. Have you a link to this so we can see the science.

With regard to fires, again in context. Since the 70s there have been reported 235 fires ( http://www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk/AccidentStatistics.htm ). Take into account there are reportedly 225,000 wind turbines worldwide then it puts it into a little more context.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding

Is this what we should do with all people who partake in illegal activities? Pay them to stop it?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire

Problem solved. Build a ruddy great periscope. You'd improve the seaview, too, if it wasn't for the bloomin' windmills.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here