Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yay the French market is in the village

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This week I will be mostly eating overpriced sausage, cheese and bread.

I've started already and won't stop until I have to wear a kaftan.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yet another banal thread about Stat Brothr's life. :yawn:
Oh be fair Husty I've been a good boy for ages.
(Tour de France rest day tomorrow so I'll get my apologies in early)

The French market is exciting, bearing in mind just how quiet the village is, on a Sunday.
The only other option is watching dossers fighting over White Lightening, in the next town, so forgive me for being excited.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
One wonders how the French would react if there was an English market touring their towns all summer.

What would it sell do you think?

Baked Beans, Colemans Mustard and Marmite

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Are Italian Markets in Sussex any better?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
One wonders how the French would react if there was an English market touring their towns all summer.

You've only got to go to the farmers msrket in Shoreham to see that we have a good array of local produce and makers and could put together a decent display. Trouble is there would be nothing unique to us that the French couldn't do, and in reality our stalls may well just be selling discount tat.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I did think as I bought some ropey old sausage and manky bit of cheese, they must be pi$$ing themselves laughing.
But I was happy, making Husty grumpy is just an added bonus.

I guess we'd sell them the White Lightening dossers and 'The Greatest Football League in the World' TM.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Oh be fair Husty I've been a good boy for ages.
(Tour de France rest day tomorrow so I'll get my apologies in early)

The French market is exciting, bearing in mind just how quiet the village is, on a Sunday.
The only other option is watching dossers fighting over White Lightening, in the next town, so forgive me for being excited.

How come nobody on NSC can spell LIGHTNING? ???

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
You've only got to go to the farmers msrket in Shoreham to see that we have a good array of local produce and makers and could put together a decent display. Trouble is there would be nothing unique to us that the French couldn't do, and in reality our stalls may well just be selling discount tat.

Off the top of my head. You are unlikely to see any of these in a French market, all are on sale at Shoreham Farmers Market

Scotch Eggs
local bottled ale
Pasties

You also have to appreciate that French food is highly regional, so many of the things we have on sale would be exotic in many but maybe not all parts of France. Root vegetables like parsnips, turnip and suede are not widely appreciated in many parts of France.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Off the top of my head. You are unlikely to see any of these in a French market, all are on sale at Shoreham Farmers Market

Scotch Eggs
local bottled ale
Pasties

You also have to appreciate that French food is highly regional, so many of the things we have on sale would be exotic in many but maybe not all parts of France. Root vegetables like parsnips, turnip and suede are not widely appreciated in many parts of France.

'suede' ??

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Scotch Eggs
local bottled ale
Pasties

True. I heard only last week that the French don't like parsnips at all. Quite a surprise really.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The french buy tea, marmalade and shortbread I believe. I got stung for some over priced cheese, will get it from waitrose in future.

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
Parsnip (Panais in french) is mostly thought of a food for animals in a lot of France although, in the last couple of years they have started to appear in French supermarkets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here