Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris O Grady - Barnsley perspective

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
Hi guys

I asked the Barnsley forum about Chris O Grady and lots of interesting replies. Main takeaways are:

Great at holding the ball up
Has a fair few tricks up his sleeve (they've even The COG TURN - his characteristic cyruff esque turn) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyDj6IVtuik
Worked most of last season by himself and still managed 15 goals even having 3 defenders marking him
They think hed work v well with a strike partner who runs the channels and creates space
Is a real grafter and gives 100%
Very professional and disciplined.

The main weakness seems to be pace.

I'd say we have a great player on our hands at 500k and looking to prove himself.

Forum link here http://bbs.barnsleyfc.org.uk/showthread.php?213170-What-is-Grady-like&p=1539756&posted=1#post1539756

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Hi guys

I asked the Barnsley forum about Chris O Grady and lots of interesting replies. Main takeaways are:

Great at holding the ball up
Has a fair few tricks up his sleeve (they've even The COG TURN - his characteristic cyruff esque turn) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyDj6IVtuik
Worked most of last season by himself and still managed 15 goals even having 3 defenders marking him
They think hed work v well with a strike partner who runs the channels and creates space
Is a real grafter and gives 100%
Very professional and disciplined.

The main weakness seems to be pace.

I'd say we have a great player on our hands at 500k and looking to prove himself.

Forum link here http://bbs.barnsleyfc.org.uk/showthread.php?213170-What-is-Grady-like&p=1539756&posted=1#post1539756

Good on you for asking the question, I was surprised how decent they all were tbh. All very honest in that part of the world and clearly rate COG. From what I have seen he is a better stronger version of Barnes and also someone that works tirelessly for the team like Barnes. Big if but I could see CMS and COG being an excellent partnership combo of pace and power.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yes, and as the Argus said this morning, much more of an Ashely Barnes replacement than Leo Ulloa.

I think he is better than Barnes , much more a Murray replacement than Spanish Len.

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
Good on you for asking the question, I was surprised how decent they all were tbh. All very honest in that part of the world and clearly rate COG. From what I have seen he is a better stronger version of Barnes and also someone that works tirelessly for the team like Barnes. Big if but I could see CMS and COG being an excellent partnership combo of pace and power.

Yes, exactly what I thought. Him and CMS seem to have, on paper, the foundations of a good relationship. COG holding it up, CMS running the channels.

ahall

Oct 29, 2012
He looks like something new that we haven't had in the championship, a better (ALOT) better than Jon obika sort of player?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
He looks like something new that we haven't had in the championship, a better (ALOT) better than Jon obika sort of player?

Tracey O'Beaker was as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
The other interesting thing was their view on Ulloa spending most of the time on the deck and complaining to the ref at Oakwell. Their view of COG is the opposite: always the one who takes pregame warmup most seriously; always grafting and never complaining.

I wasn't at Oakwell but did COG play well against us?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
They love their football in Barnsley and have always found them to be a great bunch of lads.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Pleased with this accusation. Now all we need is another striker, and one as good as Ulloa (good luck Brighton).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Very happy with everything I've heard about O'Grady. Must admit my first reaction was underwhelmed but having looked at his record at Barnsley, that quickly changed. Those comments on the Barnsley website make him sound a great signing. Let's be honest, how much would you usually expect to pay for a player who scored 16 goals in the Championship the previous season? £500K sounds a bargain.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
The other interesting thing was their view on Ulloa spending most of the time on the deck and complaining to the ref at Oakwell. Their view of COG is the opposite: always the one who takes pregame warmup most seriously; always grafting and never complaining.

This is not at all sour grapes as I loved Ulloa and wish him well but he is massively overrated. He didn't look half the player he was pre injury part of last season. I cannot remember how many times he lost 50/50 headers and got out muscled by burly centre half's. (eg Derby home and away) his constant arguing with the refs was a result of his frustration of being the lone striker. This said £8mill + for him is an absolute steal imo. The recruitment team must be looking at their a list now. Good deal for all parties

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
one of the fundamental things i am happy about with this transfer is that he is actually our player, i have been fed up with the loans that have never worked out in the Amex with strikers, it is good to have someone whose dedication is solely to our club not impressing the parent club. seems very promising, and with the news of a higher than expected ulloa fee things are looking much better.

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
Yes agreed with all these points. COG seems hungry to prove he is not the loaned out journeyman and he has always grafted wherever he has gone. Interestingly a couple of the responses on the Barnsley thread said that we could sell him tomorrow for a profit.

Last week someone posted something about Jelle Vossen. He looks like the real deal. Was this pure speculation or from a strong sauce?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Didn't notice him to be honest because this was the game where it looked like the season was over because of a very inept performance by the team. We did manage ONE shot on target and the away following wasn't happy with Garcia's tactics after Barnsley went down to 10 men and the ATTACK , ATTACK , ATTACK , ATTACK ATTACK chant was the precursor to the 4-1 spanking of Leicester at their promotion party in our next game.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I refuse to believe that anyone on here would pre-judge a player before seeing him play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here