Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COG - The BFC lowdown (as promised)

WhiteyBFC

Aug 23, 2012
Chris joined us from our near neighbours, Sheffield Wednesday.

He scored near enough a goal every other game. He created (directly) plenty. Indirectly, he assisted many more.

He led from the front. He can hold the ball up as good as anyone. He's strong, powerful and has the knack of positioning his body (his backside in most cases) in such a way that defenders can't get close enough to him. But he's also got great feet. He's not Zlatan, nor has he the technical qualities of a Messi or Ronaldo. But he's deceptively tricky. He can score from inside and outside the box, left foot, right foot, occasionally with his head. But he prefers the ball into feet. He's not quick, but those who deem him slow are being unkind. He's got a great turn of pace from standing starts that gets the ball out of his feet and in a position to smack it towards goal.

He can take a penalty well, although the couple that he missed last season pretty much cost us if you want to look at things like that. But then, were it not for his 15 goals we'd have been relegated by Xmas. We were that bad. Honestly, a handful of displays aside (one against you lot while COG was injured) it was about as bad a Barnsley side that I've seen in 26 seasons as a supporter. The season before that, we were awful for most of it but pulled off a remarkable run to stay up, COG being key to doing that. But all in all, he's done what he's done for us playing in a poor side low on confidence and beaten up on a regular basis. I can only imagine him being even more impressive were he in a capable side.

He's had lots of clubs, some of them loans, and on paper he's hardly a mouthwatering acquisition for you. He might turn out to be awful for you. He apparently was for Wednesday, despite him being their top scorer at the time they let us have him. But I seriously can't see him being awful for you. He's a terrific option to have, easy to love (works as hard as any striker) and will chip in with and create goals. Not to mention the fact that defenders know they've been in a game.

I'm sad to see him go. But we had to cash in, we have such a rebuild on our hands. But he's gone with near enough a 100% positive reaction from the fanbase, which says everything. I won't lie, I'm not really bothered about your club. Bit of an irrelevance to us as I'm sure we are to you. But from now on, I'll be looking out for your results and wishing COGba all the best.

Thanks for reading. Treat him well, eh?

And here's a quick video I cobbled together earlier:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Cracking post mate and thanks for taking the time to post on here your info on him.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Thanks [MENTION=25317]WhiteyBFC[/MENTION]

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Some really good goals from him. We have a penalty taker at last. :bounce:

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012

He scored near enough a goal every other game. He created (directly) plenty. Indirectly, he assisted many more.

He led from the front. He can hold the ball up as good as anyone. He's strong, powerful and has the knack of positioning his body (his backside in most cases) in such a way that defenders can't get close enough to him. But he's also got great feet. He's not Zlatan, nor has he the technical qualities of a Messi or Ronaldo. But he's deceptively tricky. He can score from inside and outside the box, left foot, right foot, occasionally with his head. But he prefers the ball into feet. He's not quick, but those who deem him slow are being unkind. He's got a great turn of pace from standing starts that gets the ball out of his feet and in a position to smack it towards goal.

He can take a penalty well, although the couple that he missed last season pretty much cost us if you want to look at things like that. But then, were it not for his 15 goals we'd have been relegated by Xmas. We were that bad. Honestly, a handful of displays aside (one against you lot while COG was injured) it was about as bad a Barnsley side that I've seen in 26 seasons as a supporter. The season before that, we were awful for most of it but pulled off a remarkable run to stay up, COG being key to doing that. But all in all, he's done what he's done for us playing in a poor side low on confidence and beaten up on a regular basis. I can only imagine him being even more impressive were he in a capable side.

He's had lots of clubs, some of them loans, and on paper he's hardly a mouthwatering acquisition for you. He might turn out to be awful for you. He apparently was for Wednesday, despite him being their top scorer at the time they let us have him. But I seriously can't see him being awful for you. He's a terrific option to have, easy to love (works as hard as any striker) and will chip in with and create goals. Not to mention the fact that defenders know they've been in a game.

I'm sad to see him go. But we had to cash in, we have such a rebuild on our hands. But he's gone with near enough a 100% positive reaction from the fanbase, which says everything. I won't lie, I'm not really bothered about your club. Bit of an irrelevance to us as I'm sure we are to you. But from now on, I'll be looking out for your results and wishing COGba all the best.

Cheers whitey. Barnsley aren't an irrelevance to me as it goes. Terrible what's been going on up there.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010

Thanks for a balanced view of his talents.

Some people on here are expecting way too much in terms of signings.

I am sure he will do well.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That is a massive variety of goals, I think he looks a very useful addition to the squad.

Hugo Rune

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Very nice of you to take time out to post this on our site. It's much appreciated! Strangely I'm now enjoying watching him score for you lot in the vids which is very odd!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Looks a very decent signing.

Excellent post too I just say and quite refreshing to have someone come on here and refrain from the 'always like your team' blah blah too.

Best of luck next season, hopefully after some testing seasons of late you can enjoy winning much more than you lose.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Cheers for the post. Happy with this signing. Seems he's highly thought of by Barnsley and Rochdale fans. Deserves another crack at Championship level.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Thanks for a great post. Personally was surprised when first linked with him, then looked him up and saw he scored 15/16 for you last season. Don't understand why that doesn't pacify some of the idiots on here.

Good luck for next season. Hope you go up and O'Grady is a big reason for us getting promoted too.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Penalty taker, goal poacher, goal maker, what's not to like?! :clap:

Cheers [MENTION=25317]WhiteyBFC[/MENTION] for that! Looks like a very useful addition to the squad.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Cheers for the info and video, By the looks of it he could be a useful addition to our striking options and it's good to at least get another player on board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here