Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buying a purpose built flat in a block...

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
...can anyone advise what type of survey I should get, how much it should cost and recommend a surveyor?

Cheers muchly.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
We can do the survey now-
Where is the block,what type is it?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
...can anyone advise what type of survey I should get, how much it should cost and recommend a surveyor?
It depends how old it is, particularly if it's less than 10 years old. Have a look at what maintenance the current owners pay, and what work has been done on the property in recent years.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Its 1960s, block of 20+, flat roof but flat is not top floor, Preston Park area. Don't know works history yet.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It depends how old it is, particularly if it's less than 10 years old. Have a look at what maintenance the current owners pay, and what work has been done on the property in recent years.

Could be a year old and need re rendering for example,depends..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Its 1960s, block of 20+, flat roof but flat is not top floor, Preston Park area.

Brick work? or system built panels?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
For that age of property its essential to know what is in the sinking fund (if anything) for the block maintenance as well as whether the condition/age/replacement date or planned replacement date for communal equipment like the main water and power mains and the lifts. Whoever the management agent is should be able to provide this info to you; if they're reluctant there is probably something wrong.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Good,very good,excellent even-built to last in that period,bet the grout is hard as nails,pipe work and electrics would be areas to check,hopefully the floors are concrete-

The area is good,hope the freehold is reputable and assume it's a private block as opposed to council-

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
For that age of property its essential to know what is in the sinking fund (if anything) for the block maintenance as well as whether the condition/age/replacement date or planned replacement date for communal equipment like the main water and power mains and the lifts. Whoever the management agent is should be able to provide this info to you; if they're reluctant there is probably something wrong.

Cheers. Will request more detailed info on this. Wouldn't this and nature of freehold etc. normally be part of solicitor's remit too?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Good,very good,excellent even-built to last in that period,bet the grout is hard as nails,pipe work and electrics would be areas to check,hopefully the floors are concrete-

The area is good,hope the freehold is reputable and assume it's a private block as opposed to council-

Grout hard as nails? The wall tiling may not be original???

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Cheers. Will request more detailed info on this. Wouldn't this and nature of freehold etc. normally be part of solicitor's remit too?

You would hope so, yes. I've just found out my solicitor forgot to check that the seller's solicitor had cleared some council charges on a sale which Revenue now want off me; so they do sometimes make VERY simple mistakes.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

Yep - concrete floors & private. Need to get more info on freehold share and management.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yep - concrete floors & private. Need to get more info on freehold share and management.

I cannot specifically give you a recommendation,but you could check on line and do a bit of research,no harm spending a day or two on it,but those types of flats are normally pretty decent,good luck..

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I know a couple of very good local surveyors. PM me. Also some lenders don't like multi unit blocks, also check lease left as you need to consider resale implications.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Its 1960s, block of 20+, flat roof but flat is not top floor, Preston Park area. Don't know works history yet.

Beware- whatever floor you are on you are part responsible for the roof. It the roof has a problem and the floor immediately below reports it to the maintenance firm they will ask for contributions from all flats to sort it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Get the survey done as quick as possible , a fortnight's delay in Brighton might mean the vendor jacks the price up another ten grand. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here