Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Consolidation & I feel for poor Sami!

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
Yes there's a while until the start of the season and no this isn't a knee jerk Ulloa sale thread but and there has to be a but, I do have my concerns about what's going on with transfers and the club in general because throughout all of this the one I really feel for is Big Sami who no doubt was sold down the route of "Ooooo look at our lovely new training ground and have you seen our gold taps in the changing rooms, well **** that showey crap, we need to replace the quality we've lost with the same or better players and stop being skin flints! I'm NOT talking about spunking 20k a week or spending 5 mill and going into admin within 2 years but if what is being reported is true that were offering 300k for last years league 1 top goalscorer then were a laughing stock!

With the second season in a row we've had another merry go round, the only main difference this time is the fact we've lost 4 key players and are showing at the moment no signs of replacing them with the quality that we know that we need. To be fair Arron Hughes is decent back up.....

Chris O'Grady - A northern lower league journeyman who in his career has had one mildly better than average season is not the answer and I worry that this is an all we can afford signing or willing to pay player. Our recent transfer dealings have been less than confidence building by being told where to go by nearly every club or player we go for....Adam Clayton, Lewis Grabban, Sam Baldock, Mustafa Carayol & we must include Stephen Ward who for 100k and our player of last season is a MUST to bring in.

What do people think is going on? Is it simply a case now that we are seriously taking a step back, paying our debts off which equals showing no ambition to get of this league anytime soon & consolidating like Derby did for many years in this division and then in 3-5 years we go again?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes, poor Sami, getting paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to manage one of the best run football clubs in the world, in a lovely city.

I'm really starting to hope that all these people starting these near-identical threads are just one person with numerous accounts. Please tell me that it's so [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION].

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Were you in the interview when Sami was told all these things?

As for being skin flints, have you got a spare 8-10m to cover out annual losses?

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
Yes, poor Sami, getting paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to manage one of the best run football clubs in the world, in a lovely city.

It's his career mate, he came to take us forward and be a success and move onto bigger and better things. This will be hampered if we sell our best player for 7 mill and give him 300k and some Lidl vouchers for replacements.

#tightarses

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes there's a while until the start of the season and no this isn't a knee jerk Ulloa sale thread but and there has to be a but, I do have my concerns about what's going on with transfers and the club in general because throughout all of this the one I really feel for is Big Sami who no doubt was sold down the route of "Ooooo look at our lovely new training ground and have you seen our gold taps in the changing rooms, well **** that showey crap, we need to replace the quality we've lost with the same or better players and stop being skin flints! I'm NOT talking about spunking 20k a week or spending 5 mill and going into admin within 2 years but if what is being reported is true that were offering 300k for last years league 1 top goalscorer then were a laughing stock!

With the second season in a row we've had another merry go round, the only main difference this time is the fact we've lost 4 key players and are showing at the moment no signs of replacing them with the quality that we know that we need. To be fair Arron Hughes is decent back up.....

Chris O'Grady - A northern lower league journeyman who in his career has had one mildly better than average season is not the answer and I worry that this is an all we can afford signing or willing to pay player. Our recent transfer dealings have been less than confidence building by being told where to go by nearly every club or player we go for....Adam Clayton, Lewis Grabban, Sam Baldock, Mustafa Carayol & we must include Stephen Ward who for 100k and our player of last season is a MUST to bring in.

What do people think is going on? Is it simply a case now that we are seriously taking a step back, paying our debts off which equals showing no ambition to get of this league anytime soon & consolidating like Derby did for many years in this division and then in 3-5 years we go again?

You clearly know what is going on, so why are you bothering here?

byf1

Mar 22, 2012

I'm really starting to hope that all these people starting these near-identical threads are just one person with numerous accounts. Please tell me that it's so [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION].

Maybe it's people who all have the same view, that'd be crazy wouldn't it!

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London

Just relax we will be fine. Loads of time to bring players in which will happen. No step back at all, we are in a good position

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Not crazy, just impatient. Everyone needs to calm down, The season doesn't start for another 3 weeks and it's 6 weeks until the window closes. It's going to be really exciting times over the next few weeks.

Were Burnley going through the same emotions after they sold Austin? That didn't go too badly did it?

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Wow, you seem to have some sensational contacts in the club. Thankfully all this info is credible, TRUE and trustworthy. It is isn't it? You wouldn't be leading us on now, would you?

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath

That's the worrying thing, the longer this lack of investment in the team goes on (Even ulloa supposedly thinks this ), the more people will be less inclined to renew season tickets. It's a spiral, that could be damaging in the future.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

A man of Sami's ilk wouldn't stick around for long if consolidation was our ambition or if he isn't backed financially(sensibly) He would probably walk at the end of the season also.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
(Even ulloa supposedly thinks this ).

Aside from the fact that this information is highly dubious, I'm not sure it would have mattered if we'd signed Suarez and Ronaldo. Ulloa is off to the big league and he's going to at least double his money. At 28 he'd be a fool to turn that down.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
I for one am more than happy watching this boring old Champioship malarky........It was only a few years ago when we were really ****ing poo to be honest. So what we may be paying peanuts for a journeman but if he wears the blue and white gives a 100% and scores goals who gives a shit. Give the bloke a chance. So long as the signings put in the effort and we dont end up back at Rochdale on a Tuesday night who cares. We would get stuffed week in week out in the premier league. Some people need to get a bit more realistic.......

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It was made clear by the club from the last January transfer window that we are going to take our time to get to the Prem so there is no point getting our hopes up this season and I am content in being realistic. As long as we are not in a relegation battle and can see the kids develop this season that is fine.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
This is true, but just one season in the Premier League will set us up for years. I don't quite understand why the club hasn't made the most of the momentum gained from the Amex. Attendances will continue to drop every season, leaving us in a worse position than the previous. I can't help but think the poor investment in the playing squad over the last few years will haunt us in the future, having missed several great chances of promotion due to selling our best players and failing to replace them.
Wolves, Blackpool, Charlton.........
We're being run the right way.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
From what I can see we're attempting to build a football club that doesn't rely on multi-million pound handouts every year to keep itself from bankruptcy. If that means that we have a few seasons of not signing the absolute best players whilst the rest of the league adapts to FFP I'm fine with that. Let's welcome the players that we do sign, and perhaps even see them play a few games before deciding that they're shit because they don't have a large price tag attached.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I for one am more than happy watching this boring old Champioship malarky........It was only a few years ago when we were really ****ing poo to be honest. So what we may be paying peanuts for a journeman but if he wears the blue and white gives a 100% and scores goals who gives a shit. Give the bloke a chance. So long as the signings put in the effort and we dont end up back at Rochdale on a Tuesday night who cares. We would get stuffed week in week out in the premier league. Some people need to get a bit more realistic.......

This.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Aside from the fact that this information is highly dubious, I'm not sure it would have mattered if we'd signed Suarez and Ronaldo. Ulloa is off to the big league and he's going to at least double his money. At 28 he'd be a fool to turn that down.

How many players have we signed with the promise of pushing for the prem? Vicente, Upson, Ulloa, TK and others I bet. I think we're signing players on the premise that we'll be a premier league team soon.

They come here then soon realise that isn't the case. If we really looked like making it to the big time from the view of the rest of football, we'd have players trying to flock here. Even on a temporary lower wage I bet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here