Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet - can spot a bargain!

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
I know there were issues with Poyet and the clubs transfer budget, but he has raised £m's for the club through his transfers:
Ulloa £7m+
Bridcutt £2.5m+ (?)
Barnes £750k
Noone £1.25m (?)
Bennett £1m (?)
Crofts (£600k)
any others?

Outlay - approx £3m ish for the above players.

And if he bought Van Dijk for a reported £2m, it could have been even better - estimated now worth £5m+

I know people are going to say CMS was not the £2.5m (?) price tag, but you can't win them all!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Just got back from holiday and met some proper Celtic fans who were raving about that Dutch player we were linked to. Name escapes me.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I know there were issues with Poyet and the clubs transfer budget, but he has raised £m's for the club through his transfers:
Ulloa £7m+
Bridcutt £2.5m+ (?)
Barnes £750k
Noone £1.25m (?)
Bennett £1m (?)
Crofts (£600k)
any others?

Outlay - approx £3m ish for the above players.

And if he bought Van Dijk for a reported £2m, it could have been even better - estimated now worth £5m+

I know people are going to say CMS was not the £2.5m (?) price tag, but you can't win them all!

Slade brought Bennett but yeah Poyet sold him on.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
What about Harley, Hoskins, Dobbie and CMS? Oh.
Got our money back for Dobbie so case closed on that front. CMS still at the club and everyone was raving about him when he signed for us. You can also say that about Hoskins but unfortunately injuries ruined him . Harley was a proper duffer.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Riiiiiiiiiiight. So if it goes well it was Poyet but if it goes badly it was Burke.

Ince and March are two more that were signed in Poyet's time, that look excellent business.

Our record in the transfer market has been far, far better than some on here give us credit for. Barring CMS and Kemy we've not really had an EXPENSIVE failure (jury still out on both of those as well.)

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Riiiiiiiiiiight. So if it goes well it was Poyet but if it goes badly it was Burke.

Ince and March are two more that were signed in Poyet's time, that look excellent business.

Our record in the transfer market has been far, far better than some on here give us credit for. Barring CMS and Kemy we've not really had an EXPENSIVE failure (jury still out on both of those as well.)

Poyet was around before Burke joined. I believe Poyet had a massive say in players coming in. The signing of Bergkamp pissed Poyet off i believe as it wasn't his signing.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
Poyet is a footballing genius the like of which we may not see again. He will manage at the very top level for sure.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013

THIS

You can also add Stephens, Upson, PIG, Calde, Bridge, Ward, Buckley (pre injuries), Lingard as examples of decent, solid signings to that list. Ok, some were on loan and you could also say Lita, Obika etc. were bad but as a percentage we have done ok.

My main worry is that we seem to have had a change of tact and are not as active or decisive as we used to be under Poyet. Certainly we have been selling our best players for reasons largely out of the clubs hands but we have not replaced them ...yet.

The next few weeks will show us what our ambitions are for real as I believe the current squad will only be good enough for about a 10th place finish.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Same as most managers you win some you lose some.
Also those players developed at the Albion which allowes them to be sold on at a profit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here